Mountain Project Logo

Arkansas Multi Pitch

Original Post
Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

Does anybody know of any multi pitch climbs in arkansas? Public or Private land

Creed Archibald · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,016

There is a 4 pitch traverse called "The Grand Traverse." People apparently like it because it's "multi pitch," but I thought it was a stupid choss pile.

For multi pitch, "go west young man."

Creed A wrote:

There is a 4 pitch traverse called "The Grand Traverse." People apparently like it because it's "multi pitch," but I thought it was a stupid choss pile.

For multi pitch, "go west young man."

Yes, I have heard of the grand traverse. I heard that it was pretty dumb, and sketchy in places. I would figure there might be something that is a little taller than all the single pitches here, but I do not know. Maybe something on private land..

Ryan Surface · · Kansas City · Joined May 2014 · Points: 438

There are several routes that can be climbed as 2 pitches, but this is usually only to mitigate rope drag, not because of height. 

Creed Archibald · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,016

There is a 3 or 4 pitch bolted route on the Buffalo National Scenic River that I stumbled on once by accident. I climbed it, with some french freeing. It was hard. There is no online beta that I've ever found. 

Creed A wrote:

There is a 3 or 4 pitch bolted route on the Buffalo National Scenic River that I stumbled on once by accident. I climbed it, with some french freeing. It was hard. There is no online beta that I've ever found. 

Hmmm.. Any info on it? Sounds sketchy, because most I have seen around the buffalo is a choss pile. Is it bolted?

JD Borgeson · · Little Rock, AR · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 2,064

Grand traverse is an adventure-y route but it's definitely not a choss pile.  it's a classic and I personally love it for it's uniqueness.  I know of a few great multipitches in Arkansas, but if you can't enjoy the grand traverse, you aren't going to enjoy any of them.

Scott D · · Tucson · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

There is the Grand Traverse as mentioned above, there is some multipitch at Painter's Bluff, there is a route at HCR, Fireworks in February, that while not a true multipitch climb does have anchors halfway up and can be used to practice multipitch and finally there is on route at Sam's Throne that is a 3 pitch trad adventure route that starts at the back of a cave and climbs out and to the top of the bluffline,  I cannot remember it's name off the top of my head, but is in Cole Fennel's second Arkansas book. That is about it, but our singlepitch is superb! 

Thanks guys. I'm going to have to do the grand traverse now, I read about it in the guidebook and it seems fun.

JD Borgeson · · Little Rock, AR · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 2,064

the climbing at painters bluff is off limits now unless you purchase a hunting lease from the new property owners.  there is way more than just one multipitch route at sams throne.  not tall, but steepness forces extra belays.

Jake Gluck · · AZ · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 119

At Sam's Throne there is Darkness at Noon. It starts with a splitter in the back of a cave, then you traverse out the cave on a ledge, then you climb straight up after exiting said cave. 

https://www.mountainproject.com/v/darkness-at-noon/112124749

Will Haden · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 90

^^^ I have only done the first pitch, but it's great and the rest of the route looks fun. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Midwest
Post a Reply to "Arkansas Multi Pitch"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started