Mountain Project Logo

Yelling at Tahquitz/Suicide

pkeds · · Broomfield, CO · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 30

i make it a point now to yell as much as humanly possible when at tahquitz.

Stephen L · · Atl GA · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 130

It's interesting how unnecessary verbal communication becomes when you climb regularly with your partners. So many times the verbal commands are simply useless in multipitch or alpine conditions because half the time you cannot hear each other reliably; one gust of wind and the words are inaudible. If even for that reason alone it's good to not depend on them. Just keen paying attention to the action on your rope is more important. All the slack is out and it's getting taken out as I step up to the first move? Yup, I'm on belay. 

The yelling at Tahq can get really obnoxious, mostly because it starts to go beyond simple commands (omg are you really yelling instructions down?!) But telling people to "stfu" is lame and grumpy. 

x15x15 · · Use Ignore Button · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 275

those wireless speakers are pretty dang good these days.  Light, compact, and booming with sound.  With all the riff raff screaming and yelling all over the rock, this lame and grumpy old man no longer needs ear buds.  Politeness is tossed to the wind...  Just crank the tunes on the speaker, and all human activity outside of MY bubble disappears.  And the squirrels, falcons, and the southern pacific buzzworms can enjoy a little Reverend Horton Heat... 

grog m · · Saltlakecity · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 70

WHAAAAAT? I CANT HEAR YOU GUYS

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,610

Now, I am officially banning "wooohoo"s from T&S. Your welps are obnoxious!

corpse · · jtree area · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 5

I think the falcons would rather listen to the eagles, the squirrels wood prefer the squirrel nut zippers, and the buzzworms will take the buzzcocks.

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0
Tradiban wrote:

Now, I am officially banning "wooohoo"s from T&S. Your welps are obnoxious!

Hahaha, you're too cranky Tradiban.  Let people enjoy their moment in the sun.  Maybe it was this guy flexing from the top of Tahquitz.    

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,610

The Access Fund has now declared this the #3 "Gnarliest Local Debates" on MP!!!! 

Only beaten by the Double Cross debate and the Montana "No Info" rule.

Stephen L · · Atl GA · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 130
Tradiban wrote:

The Access Fund has now declared this the #3 "Gnarliest Local Debates" on MP!!!! 

Only beaten by the Double Cross debate and the Montana "No Info" rule.

I saw that this morning. Very proud we made the chart! Let's keep the momentum... but seriously everybody stop yelling so much. 

Trad Princess · · Not That Into Climbing · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 1,175

Lily Rock is the bessssssssssssst - up early and first on the route after a detour to check out the Larks.  Got to watch a guy cheesegrater down the crux of Whodunit (guy really went for it, way above his gear - respect.)  Lunch on top, took the normal way out, and when we rounded past Open Book, holy crap so many people on the rock.

It was around noon, I think.  Sun was blazing on coffin nail/etc.  It looked like 2 or 3 parties on the lower portion of Jensens, couple parties on Coffin Nail, and another party between them on whatever that 10c dihedral that hits coffin nail is.  The first 150 feet of rock was crawling with folks.

I said my obligatory "thanks, Los Angeles" to myself as we sauntered by.

To be fair, it was strangely quiet.  

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern California
Post a Reply to "Yelling at Tahquitz/Suicide"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started