Mountain Project Logo

Wallface closed for SAR

Original Post
Alissa Doherty · · Boulder, CO · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 60

If anyone else had plans to head to Wallface this weekend, I spoke to the DEC and they said the area will be closed off for the ongoing SAR operation (details here). Not sure how long this closure will extend, but I'd avoid the area over the weekend so as not to interfere with the search.

Tom Sherman · · Austin, TX · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 433

I was a little shocked when I saw that. Said he was "wearing sandals". That's pretty far backcountry for sandals. I'll never forget taking a little day excursion in front of Wallface one fourth of July. As I hiked into the notch there from the north the temperature fluctuated between 50 degree pockets of cool air and 90+ degree warm breezes. I remember finding ice way down tucked in at the base.... I remember getting to the top being quite an epic (hiking), but maybe that was my inexperience and overweight pack.

Hoping for the best outcome in this search.

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492
Tom Sherman wrote:

I was a little shocked when I saw that. Said he was "wearing sandals". That's pretty far backcountry for sandals. I'll never forget taking a little day excursion in front of Wallface one fourth of July. As I hiked into the notch there from the north the temperature fluctuated between 50 degree pockets of cool air and 90+ degree warm breezes. I remember finding ice way down tucked in at the base.... I remember getting to the top being quite an epic (hiking), but maybe that was my inexperience and overweight pack.

Hoping for the best outcome in this search.

Wow, talk about bringing back memories. My first time climbing on Wallface was 4th of July w/e (1976, yikes). We slept on top of a huge boulder a stone's thrwo from summit rock, and got water from a small stream that ran through a deep hole underneath it, where there was still quite a bit of ice.

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374

Best wishes to all involved. Hope they find him!

This is a good reminder to always let someone know where you intend to be. The big searches over a lot of ground are really a slogfest for the good people who do this. Thanks to all you SAR folks for volunteering.

Best, OLH

Doug S · · W Pa · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 55

There's more information here regarding SAR activities, including a number to call with information from anyone who may have been in the area and seen him:

https://www.adirondackexplorer.org/news_releases/dec-continue-searching-stevens-weekend

RichBeBe · · New York City, NY · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 1
Alissa Doherty · · Boulder, CO · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 60

Thanks for the update. My thoughts go out to friends and family. Incredible job from the rescue team in bringing closure to the search.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "Wallface closed for SAR"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started