Mountain Project Logo

La Sportiva Skwama or Otaki

Original Post
Climbing Forfun · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

Hello! I started climbing about 5 months ago and am looking for my second pair of climbing shoes, hopefully something a little more downturned for bouldering. I am currently climbing V5s indoors. My first shoe was the 5.10 Anasazi, and am looking at the La Sportiva women's Otaki or the Skwamas. Any suggestions?? Thank you!!

Doug Chism · · Arlington VA · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 45

If you are only bouldering and climbing inside the Skwama is probably the ticket since it is softer and has all that toe rubber.

Great, Thank you!! Do you know how many sizes are recommended to downsize? I read that the shoe runs fairly large. 

that guy named seb · · Britland · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 236
Climbing Forfun wrote:

Great, Thank you!! Do you know how many sizes are recommended to downsize? I read that the shoe runs fairly large. 

entirely up to you, you really need to know how lasportiva fit you to make any real call on sizing, i go down 4-4.5 sizes from my street shoe.

Eric Tomaselli · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 0

I have both and they are both quality shoes, you can't go wrong with either one, I go down about 3 sizes (Eur). 

Nick Drake · · Kent, WA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 651
that guy named seb wrote:

entirely up to you, you really need to know how lasportiva fit you to make any real call on sizing, i go down 4-4.5 sizes from my street shoe.

4-4.5 euro down from street, have you ever measured your foot in CM to see how far down it is from actual length? 

https://www.leftlanesports.com/popup_shoesize.htm

I'd be interested to see if the brand of street shoes you buy just runs differently. Personally I have a 26.5cm foot and am a 39.5 in the skwama for what starts as very tight performance fit. I don't think that I could pull on a 39 without putting plastic bags over my foot and potentially tearing the heel loop pull tabs off the shoe. 

After their first resole that size in the skwama is a reasonably comfortable fit for longer 30 meter pitches. 

Nick Drake wrote:

4-4.5 euro down from street, have you ever measured your foot in CM to see how far down it is from actual length? 

https://www.leftlanesports.com/popup_shoesize.htm

I'd be interested to see if the brand of street shoes you buy just runs differently. Personally I have a 26.5cm foot and am a 39.5 in the skwama for what starts as very tight performance fit. I don't think that I could pull on a 39 without putting plastic bags over my foot and potentially tearing the heel loop pull tabs off the shoe. 

After their first resole that size in the skwama is a reasonably comfortable fit for longer 30 meter pitches. 

4.5-4 UK sizing

Lasportiva speedster and miura vs-5.5

Lasportiva hypermid boot-10

Ellis L · · Truckee · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 156

I am now on my 2nd resole on a pair of Otaki's and they are still phenomenal shoes. I've worn them bouldering but I think they really shine at techy sport climbing. I feel like i can toe in with a bit more power than my Muira laces, and still edge all day on nubs and dimes, with comfort. Sportiva Trango boot - 42, Sportiva trail runner - 42, Muira lace - 38.5, Otaki - 39

Thank you everyone, appreciate the help!! Now I just need to find the shoe, they are hard to come by online I've realized. Thanks again!

Climbing Forfun wrote:

Hey Everyone! So unfortunately I couldn't get the Skwamas in a size that really fit my foot (limited in-stock quantity). Does anyone have reviews/input of the Five Ten Hiangles? Thank you!

They are only any good if five ten fit your feet, useless for me no matter what the size.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "La Sportiva Skwama or Otaki"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started