Mountain Project Logo

Arcteryx Alpha SV?

Aaron Dirthog · · Anchorage, ak · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0
AlpineIce wrote:

For a mid layer, I can't recommend Patagonia's Nano-Air Light enough.  It's warm, breathes incredibly well and dries almost immediately.  Last year, due to some severe cold I encountered on a multi-day trip, I coupled it with the Proton LT Hoody.  I used the Proton as my outer layer and they both performed very well when used as a system.  When the wind was too much to bear, I layered my Alpha FL on and this system worked very well for me.  I'm talking about swinging tools at elevation in 5-10ºF weather with sustained wind.

The Proton LT Hoody has a face fabric that's a little more tightly woven than the Nano-Air Light, and provides more wind/weather protection.  The fit and craftsmanship is typical Arc'teryx, which is second to none. The Nano-Air Light has 40 g/m2 of FullRange active insulation and the Proton LT Hoody has 65 g/m2 of CoreLoft Continuous active insulation.  The Nano-Air Light's hood fits under the helmet, just like an R1 Hoody, and the Proton LT Hoody, with a stellar Arc'teryx storm hood, fits over the helmet perfectly. 

As you can tell, I'm a fan of both pieces.  When the weather cooperates, it makes needing to wear a softshell or hardshell almost obsolete.  The Proton LT Hoody is basically an insulated softshell that doesn't weigh as much.  That's why my Alpha FL rides in my pack more than I wear it.

I've definitely been sold on the FL. What are you wearing for a base layer? I'm slowing starting to develop a system. I'm looking at lightweight (150) Smartwool base layer, a R1 on top of that, then a Nano-Air or Proton LT to top it off and of coarse the Alpha FL to top it off. I think this setup covers the spectrum, I'll be using it for a lot of back country skiing and touring and a lot of ice climbing and hopefully, a little more mountaineering. Any thoughts on it?

Nano-Air or Nano Air Light? And why?

Gavin W · · NW WA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 181
AlpineIce wrote:

Any highly aerobic activity - approach hikes to an ice climb, skinning/touring, hiking, etc., I don't wear Gore-Tex.  No waterproof/breathable is able to "breath" well enough when you're really working hard.  The most breathable waterproof textile I've ever worn is Polartec's "NeoShell," which most companies don't use anymore.  Not sure why, because it really does breath way, way better than any Gore product I've ever used.  Remember, the less weight you have to haul, the more fun you'll have!

Companies stopped using Polartec Neoshell because of durability issues. It would delaminate after only a few seasons, so companies were losing money on warranty replacements for it. Since so many outdoor clothing companies have effectively infinite warranties, it didn't make sense to continue to use a product that had durability issues.

Owen Witesman · · Springville, UT · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 111

The only teenie tiny caveat about the Alpha FL for me is that if you happen not to be wearing a pack or harness (which turn the body of the jacket into a pocket), the dearth of pockets can be annoying. I didn't think this would matter, but it has with surprising frequency since the jacket is so nice it begs to be used all the time, not just climbing and skiing. 

Gabe B. · · Madison, WI · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 86
Aaron D. wrote:

I've definitely been sold on the FL. What are you wearing for a base layer? I'm slowing starting to develop a system. I'm looking at lightweight (150) Smartwool base layer, a R1 on top of that, then a Nano-Air or Proton LT to top it off and of coarse the Alpha FL to top it off. I think this setup covers the spectrum, I'll be using it for a lot of back country skiing and touring and a lot of ice climbing and hopefully, a little more mountaineering. Any thoughts on it?

Nano-Air or Nano Air Light? And why?

Nano Air Light. Such an amazing piece. I wear it nearly daily for everything I do. Windy? I throw on my squamish hoody. Nuking out? I throw on my alpha sv. Really, Really cold? I bump up my base layer or I stay home and drink hot chocolate instead ;)

AlpineIce · · Upstate, NY · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 255

I agree with Gabe B. Nano-Air Light Hoody gets my vote.  I haven't used the newer Nano-Air Light Hybrid, but I've been so happy with the Nano-Air Light Hoody, I don't ever see myself needing the hybrid.  In fact, I liked my Nano-Air Light Hoody so much, I bought a second one fearing Patagonia would kill a good thing.  Their whole "High Alpine Kit" is on-point.

For a base layer, I wear a Patagonia Capilene Lightweight Crew, followed by the Nano-Air Light Hoody.  If the weather isn't too shitty, I'm able to climb most of the day in just that system.  For belays, I use my down puffy.  As I mentioned before, if it's balls cold out, I'll throw the Proton LT Hoody on top of the Nano-Air Light Hoody.  Add in sustained wind/snow, I'll probably add on the Alpha FL.  I never feel the need for more than one pocket in a hardshell as in the winter, I store all my essential items closer to my body to keep them from freezing or from killing my iPhone battery.

If you're considering the Proton LT Hoody, then you definitely don't want to pair it with the Nano-Air (regular) Hoody.  Too much insulation.  The Nano-Air Light layers perfectly, but be advised that it runs on the small side.  If you think you'd be in between sizes, size up.  

This system works for me and you may find it too warm.  I usually run hot in almost every sport I participate in except winter/ice climbing.  Once my hands go, I'm fucked.  I found the warmer I keep my core, the longer my fingers stay warm and the more enjoyment I get out on the ice.

Michelle Dingess · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 0

Arcteryx Alpha SV is best jacket. I also using this and it gives me ultimate protection. And this is the best hard shell jacket for skiing. I'm using this jacket in ice climbing, alpine climbing, hiking, and trekking activities. I love this jacket and I love to wear this most of time.

Loco Raindrops · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

I have a lot of deadbird products.
At the end of the day its all about what you want and you need for your endeavors.

I find it funny that so many will say its hot, etc.

Everyone is different and our internal heaters vary.

The SV is the most durable product you can buy as far as shells go.

My 1st was purchased in 2002. Its still waterproof. Just looks well used. Just picked up the latest 100d variation a short time back.

I look at these items as an investment. People here whine about weight but there are many other places you can make up the difference.

At the end of the day if you are above treeline and shit hits the fan the Alpha SV is the best protection from the elements money can buy.

Im not into the whole gram weenie approach. I would rather own something for quite a few years as opposed to replacing something every so many seasons all for the sake of saving a little weight.

Its a stupid approach in my personal opinion and these UL product manufacturers are laughing all the way to the bank.

What? Your shell tore? Oh thats due to use. Here we have a new version you can buy that is better lol.

If I am out for say a month solo on snowshoes Id rather have the reassurance that what I have will take whatever I throw at it and come back season after season as opposed to a lightweight product.

I bought a UL tent a few years back just to try it(BA Copper Spur.) Caught a guyline with my boot taking a midnight piss and the fly split up the seam.

Never had that happen with my Hillebergs.

I think this whole save weight perspective is stupid and Ive been tromping in the outdoors for 35yrs.

At what expense are you cutting grams? 

Also while being somewhat cheaper than the heavier comparable item I may be spending more initially but in the long run Im saving money because Im not replacing the item as often.

When I am solo for 2 weeks to a month+ in late winter pulling a sled on slowshoes I need to depend on what I have.

I cant just bail to the car lol.

I would rather go overkill than realize what I have isnt up to snuff.

Mother Nature doesnt give a shit about what you have on your back or who you are.

She will chew you up and spit you out regardless.

Best piece of gear folks have is the gear between their ears.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Arcteryx Alpha SV? "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started