Mountain Project Logo

TC Pros for thin cracks?

Brie Abram · · Celo, NC · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 493

I used Katakis as my exclusive shoe in Indian Creek for cracks down to .5 Camalots/5.12. To size them initially, I found the size that fit perfectly for cracks (no toe knuckling) and went down a half size to account for break in. They were great.

Izzy Nawfal · · Redondo Beach, CA · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 540
Dirt Squirrel wrote:

How are you fitting these?

Tight but comfortable, toes just flat.  For reference, I wear TC Pros in 41, 9.5ish street shoe.  

Otaki (women's) & Kataki (men's) in 41.  The Otaki is tighter with softer rubber. 

I also have a men's Otaki in 40.5, which I can't wear for more than 2-3 pitches.  There's too much pressure on my toes and heel when my feet expand. 

that guy named seb · · Britland · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 236

I am surprised no one has brought up the skwarma or solution, both being many pro's shoe of choice for fine cracks.

Brie Abram · · Celo, NC · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 493
that guy named seb wrote:

I am surprised no one has brought up the skwarma or solution, both being many pro's shoe of choice for fine cracks.

The Skwama can be great. I sold mine after getting a pair of Scarpa Dragos. For me, the Drago is like a refined Skwama with better lining and heel. Very similar performance in cracks. 

My personal opinion is that the Skwama and Drago are both two of the more versatile shoes around. They are seen by most as bouldering shoes, but sized correctly, they are great for thin crack climbing as well. When sized for crack climbing, the Drago also excels on slab. It is so soft that it molds to your foot and the rock very well. Take the downturn with a grain of salt.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "TC Pros for thin cracks?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started