Mountain Project Logo

Patagonia PlumaFill Loft Durability - Any Testers?

Original Post
Clint White aka Faulted Geologist · · Lawrence, KS · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 151
that guy named seb · · Britland · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 236

Looks sweet, i would want to see some proper specs on the insulation though.

Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11
Ryan Hamilton · · Orem · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 5

I just got one. I'll post up a review of it soon. It's very light and the insulation loft is thin. I don't expect it to be a really warm layer, but probably a really great mid-layer and something to keep in the pack to put on under a shell or something for an excellent layering system. 

that guy named seb · · Britland · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 236
Ryan Hamilton wrote:

I just got one. I'll post up a review of it soon. It's very light and the insulation loft is thin. I don't expect it to be a really warm layer, but probably a really great mid-layer and something to keep in the pack to put on under a shell or something for an excellent layering system. 

As it's 65gsm how does it compare to 60gsm primaloft jackets? I always found 60gsm jackets felt very fine so to imagine a finer insulating jacket is hard.

that guy named seb wrote:

As it's 65gsm how does it compare to 60gsm primaloft jackets? I always found 60gsm jackets felt very fine so to imagine a finer insulating jacket is hard.

I have a Monbell down jacket that is around 60-70 gsm (I think) and I have found it very useful in the past for layering and having a really light packable insulation in the pack. I think this will be the same, but even lighter, with a similar amount of warmth. 

Clint White aka Faulted Geologist · · Lawrence, KS · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 151
Ryan Hamilton wrote:

Can you take an estimated loft at rest now, measured in mm, then do the same after packing it a bunch?  Please disregard work, bills, children, responsibility, etc, and go far away.  Estimate the number of pack/unpack cycles by putting a notch in a piece of gear you always have.  Your ragged beard will be evidence of your journey.  Pictures or it didn't happen.  Also, if the fabric fails, you must wear the insulation like a feather boa.  

I'm interested in the results, though I doubt anything will change regarding durability of the synthetic loft.

Actually the thing I'm most interested in is the ability for the insulation to retain it's loft after repeated pack/unpack cycles. So, I'm with you on that. I only own one other jacket with synthetic insulation because: it doesn't rain much in Utah and the snow is very dry, and down handles the repeated stuff in a pack so much better. That said, there isn't much loft to begin with in this jacket, which might be one reason why they went with this style first. 

Nick Drake · · Kent, WA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 651

At $300 msrp it better damn well not loose loft at the rate current synthetics on the market do. I can always find a primaloft gold jacket of some kind on sale ~$100 at some point and it maintains enough loft for two seasons of heavy use. So it's gotta be at least 6 year life span to get any ROI.

Kevin X · · Boulder · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 0

Reviving zombie thread. It's been on the market for half a decade now. How's the insulation holding up?

Liam Hoefer · · Oakland, CA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 0

Girlfriend has had one for 3ish years and has put it through the wringer. It’s pretty much as warm as when she got it, no really significant or noticeable loss in loft, but if you compared it to a new one it’s probably a little less. Seems sweet to me. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Patagonia PlumaFill Loft Durability - Any Testers?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started