Mountain Project Logo

What does your Woody look like???

Andrew V · · Denver CO · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 0
will ar wrote:

How did you change the ceiling height? Curious how much time or $ it took if you don't mind sharing. Also, it looks like one of the garage doors is fully insulated and the other isn't-is this still pretty effective? I tried getting one of the garage door insulation kits from Home Depot and it ended up being a bust.

Changing the ceiling height required an engineers report to determine the amount of bracing necessary to safely raise the ties. After that, it was a matter of demolishing the old ties and putting up the new ones. I didn't get great before pictures, but below there is a starting picture after some slight clean up and one from after the ties were raised. I can't remember exact costs, but price will vary. We had to place 2x12 lumber every two feet attached with 5 lagbolts per side. The lag bolts were the most expensive part of the project by far. I think raising the ceiling took two people 1 long day to get the demo done and trusses up. 

Both garage doors are insulated. The door behind the 40 degree wall is no longer functional so we used a mix of all the insulation leftover from the insulating the walls. The single bay door is still in use, so we used a 2" rigid foamboard insulation 13.2R factor. Insulating the garage doors greatly reduced the amount of heat radiated into the garage on hot days.

Jon Rhoderick · · Redmond, OR · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 966

How does the Tension compare to the Moonboard?

Jon Rhoderick wrote:

How does the Tension compare to the Moonboard?

I've spent a significant amount of time on the Moonboard while I've only had a couple sessions on the Tension Board. The Tension Board has a lot more possibility because of the greater hold density (more holds of all kinds ranging from great to terrible), for example there are a number of v1's at 40 degrees whereas the easiest problem on the Moonboard is around v3. I also like that any problem can be climbed mirrored. The app is in its test phase currently, but makes switching back and forth between a problem and its mirror image as simple as pushing a button. When setting problems on the app the options include starting, ending and intermediate holds as with the Moonboard, but also foot only holds. Perhaps, contrived outdoors, but perfect for indoor training. The wood holds really are skin friendly too, I've have sessions that were a couple hours long pulling on small holds without any significant skin degradation. Typically, a similar length Moonboard session will tear up my skin.

A downside is the hold density and similarity makes it harder to tell which hold is on or off, the lighting system currently in the works will likely help with this at additional cost. I'm sure more time on the board will help as well. Of course, with all the holds also comes increased cost, but I think it was well worth it.

Overall, I think the Tension board is a more versatile training tool than the Moonboard especially as the problem database grows and the app continues to get worked on. 

Aleks Zebastian · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 175

climbing friend,

which one is it  - moonboard or tension board - that it is bigger and harder? 

Highlander · · Ouray, CO · Joined Apr 2008 · Points: 256

Curious how you did your adjustable angle wall, I am looking for ideas.

Jon Rhoderick · · Redmond, OR · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 966

Super jealous btw, that looks so fun

Highlander wrote:

Curious how you did your adjustable angle wall, I am looking for ideas.

The wall is connected to the footer with hinges. Adjustments are made using a winch and a couple pulleys. Chains and biners into studs to make sure nothing falls.

Dave Dillon · · Tewksbury · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 180

Just finished my outdoor woody. It's 12' tall and 8' wide on a 20 degree overhang... I went with a modest overhang because I wanted my kids to be able to enjoy it as well as use Ice Tools on it for training. wish I had gone a tad bit wider. Currently using Rocky Mountain Climbing holds but looking to pick up a few unique crimps, jugs, and chips for ice tool placement. I work in mechanical engineering industry and was lucky enough to be able to model it all out in SolidWorks prior to cutting any wood... made things a lot easier!

Tavis Ricksecker · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 4,246

Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 1,739
Tavis Ricksecker wrote:

You should probably get some more holds. I can still see unused T-nuts! (I'm jealous, what can I say?)

Andrew Krajnik wrote:

You should probably get some more holds. I can still see unused T-nuts! (I'm jealous, what can I say?)

Yeah, I think it's almost time for another shipment :)

Andrew V wrote:

The hang/campus board is removable using a double cleat system.

This is an awesome idea. Any chance you could explain how you built this in more detail? I would love to make my campus board removable, and i have a very similar space to this in my gym that I could use. I have some idea how it might work but if you could post pics of the cleats in particular, it would be really helpful. Thanks so much.

-Tavis

Chris Child · · Starksboro · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 15

Here's my new woody!  It is hinged at the bottom and secured in place with chain anchors on both sides.

llanSan · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 130

I like the drawing

FeS2 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 0

Howdy everyone.  

I'm in the planning stages of a garage woody and was hoping someone could comment on a construction question.  What type of fasteners should I use to connect the joist hangers to my top and bottom headers?  In typical house construction aren't nails used because screws aren't rated for shear strength?  I suspect nails wouldn't be ideal in a climbing wall application because of the repeated loading/unloading.  Same question for connecting the studs to the joist hangers.  I suspect this is less critical because the joist hanger is supporting the load and the fastener should simply be keeping the stud in the hanger.

Thoughts? Comments?  I guess i could always use duct tape and bubble gum......

Thanks!

Muscrat · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 3,625
Kevin Stricker · · Evergreen, CO · Joined Oct 2002 · Points: 1,197

Simpson SD #9x1.5" hanger to ledger

Simpson SD #9x2.5" hanger to joist  

Caleb Schwarz · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 120

Adjustable by adding and subtracting bolts and washers.

Squeak · · Perth West OZ · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 21
Caleb Schwarz wrote:

Adjustable by adding and subtracting bolts and washers.

You dont have to add and remove nuts or washers. Just place 2 nuts and washers on the inside of the gap, then you only move one set of nuts to open or close the gap.

Forrest Carver · · Edgecomb, ME · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 150

This topic is locked and closed to new replies.

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started