Mountain Project Logo

Ice and rock climbing helmet? BD Vector? Others?

Original Post
Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374

EDIT: I won a BD Vector!

12/10 EDIT: Still thinking I'll buy a second helmet. See post down thread

I'm looking to buy a helmet soon. Is there one that will be good for both, or will that just be setting myself up for too hot and/or too cold? I'm diligent about wearing a helmet, so it is a concern to not roast in the summer, and I assume the vents would just suck up ice/snow in the winter?

Thanks! OLH

ze dirtbag · · Tahoe · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 50

Check out the Camp Storm

Ryan Hamilton · · Orem · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 5

I think most helmets work well in both places. I can't think of any that have holes in the very top of the helmet. I can't think of a time when the vents really held a lot of snow and/or ice. I'm sure there have been moments, but it's not really a problem at all. My usual helmet is the Petzl Meteor, but I've also used the BD Vapor and others. 

Mike-Mayhem · · North Bend, WA · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 70

I can't say enough good things about the mammut wallrider! Just be a little carful with where you put it in your backpack, as the foam is a bit fragile.

Tony K · · Pa · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

Look at the Grivel helmets 

Perry Norris · · Truckee, CA · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 45

Ryan's statement that any helmet will work seems true to me. The BD I have is easy to adjust to fit over a beanie or balaclava.

Jeremy B. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2013 · Points: 0

Are you taking up ice climbing?  Petzl makes a very stylish (cough) shield that mounts on their helmets to protect your face from bits of ice, stray tools, etc.

david · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 106

Any climbing helmet will work. Just wear a beanie in winter; the vents don't really collect snow (unless you're smashing your head in the ground...). I use the Petzl Meteor and have the Vizion face shield for ice. I had low expectations for the face shield but it actually works really well with a secure attachment and good durability. It shields a much larger portion of the face than safety glasses.

Max Forbes · · Colorado · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 108

I generally prefer a well ventilated helmet for both seasons. In the winter, when the weather is bed, you hat/& hood negates any vents. I love the sirocco, it's light and durable. But I'm all honesty, get what fits and what's budget friendly. Then, find a good sleek hat that covers your ears, or a helmet compatible fleece hoodie (check out mammut, BD, rab, or arteryx) that works with your helmet to keep your noggin warm. You'll also want to make sure the hood of your shell will fit over it all. 

Chris C · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 407

Pretty much all helmets will do both things just fine. I use a BD Vector. I had a small gripe with the BD Vapor because it doesn't take small impacts as well. The Petzl Meteor takes small impacts like a champ, but didn't fit me very well. If you are ice climbing, you will almost certainly take hits in the head from falling ice at some point. 

In colder conditions, I wear my baselayer hood under the Vector. When things get really cold, I throw on a jacket with a hood over everything. For summer mountaineering, I'll put the baselayer hood over the helmet to keep the sun away.

Thanks, everyone, this helps! 

I'll see if REI will pull them out of the box to try on.

I have a close friend who lives for ice climbing season. He's super stoked to introduce me to this passion of his, so I need to be ready to jump, if we have ice this year, since he'd be coming in from out of town.

I turn 61 in January! Good age for something new, don't you think?

Best, Helen

Jesse Coonce · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 5

Here's hoping you get some ice in your area this winter!! I know how your friend feels, I really like rock climbing but I live for ice climbing, definitely my favorite past time, though mountaineering is quickly moving up the list of activities I want to invest my time in to, I think I just prefer winter/snow and ice to summer heat.  

In regards to helmets, I think most any one will work, especially if you have room to fit a small beanie or something underneath when the temps really dip.  A shell jacket or insulating layer with a hood that will fit over the helmet are also really nice to have when belaying or standing around.

Jesse Coonce wrote:

Here's hoping you get some ice in your area this winter!! I know how your friend feels, I really like rock climbing but I live for ice climbing, definitely my favorite past time, though mountaineering is quickly moving up the list of activities I want to invest my time in to, I think I just prefer winter/snow and ice to summer heat.  

In regards to helmets, I think most any one will work, especially if you have room to fit a small beanie or something underneath when the temps really dip.  A shell jacket or insulating layer with a hood that will fit over the helmet are also really nice to have when belaying or standing around.

Thanks, Jesse! 

Let me know if you'd like to be in touch with my friend. He's ice and mountaineering first, but is rapidly upping his game on rock.

Best, OLH

Pavel Burov · · Russia · Joined May 2013 · Points: 50

Climbing helmet should feel like nothing. If you can feel it on your head there are chances you will avoid wearing it on. Thus the only way to choose a proper helmet is to wear 'em all in all local stores around to find that helmet feels like the second skin on your head.

Pavel Burov wrote:

Climbing helmet should feel like nothing. If you can feel it on your head there are chances you will avoid wearing it on. Thus the only way to choose a proper helmet is to wear 'em all in all local stores around to find that helmet feels like the second skin on your head.

Well, according to the reviews, this description fits the BD Vapor. Apparently I won a helmet in the "ask a badass" thing, so hopefully it will hold up okay! 

Thanks again, everyone. The best helmet is the one on your head, after all, but your input was much appreciated!

Best, OLH

Jim Urbec · · Sevierville, TN · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 56
Old lady H wrote:

Thanks, everyone, this helps! 

I'll see if REI will pull them out of the box to try on.

I have a close friend who lives for ice climbing season. He's super stoked to introduce me to this passion of his, so I need to be ready to jump, if we have ice this year, since he'd be coming in from out of town.

I turn 61 in January! Good age for something new, don't you think?

Best, Helen

REI They absolutely will.   Or just ask forgiveness instead of permissiom and take it out of box yourself...lol

So, a BD Vector is in my future, apparently.

How will it be all around? Do I need to put effort into protecting it when I'm packing it back and forth?

Still good enough for a beginner at ice?

Thanks! My son has three helmets, I've been borrowing from him. He's also the rope owner, so same thing. After the helmet and rope, I'll be set for rock climbing. 

Ice, wardrobe is the next consideration.

Best, OLH

Nick Drake · · Kent, WA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 651
Old lady H wrote:

Well, according to the reviews, this description fits the BD Vapor. Apparently I won a helmet in the "ask a badass" thing, so hopefully it will hold up okay! 

Thanks again, everyone. The best helmet is the one on your head, after all, but your input was much appreciated!

Best, OLH

Helen did you end up with the vector or the vapor? Thread title now says vector.

I've owned both, they are both good helmets. The vapor is slightly lower profile and fits under hoods much better. If I climb with a hood over in the vector it pulls my jacket up and it comes out of the harness. Just something to think about for ice.

Nick Drake wrote:

Helen did you end up with the vector or the vapor? Thread title now says vector.

I've owned both, they are both good helmets. The vapor is slightly lower profile and fits under hoods much better. If I climb with a hood over in the vector it pulls my jacket up and it comes out of the harness. Just something to think about for ice.

I misread in the badass thread. Vector is correct, I was probably editing while you quoted me!

A hood will be a consideration, especially if it's super cold. For me that's single digits or lower, wind makes a huge difference, even a no go, potentially.

Thanks! OLH

Andrew Mark wrote:

It takes on small dings pretty quickly (unless I'm the only one who bangs my head on the rock regularly...), but these marks are superficial. It's pretty safe to carry around, but I wouldn't risk putting it in an overstuffed checked bag on an airplane. Try it on for the right size.

That's good to know! I have no idea how it will work to get the size.

Best, OLH

Bumping this for another question.

All, because it is subject to dings, white, and well vented, I'm thinking I'll save the vector for summer climbing, when I'll want as cool as possible.

Which means, I am still in the market to buy a helmet. I'll be going local for that, so I can try them on, most likely at REI, but I'll also try our locally owned guys. I'm not too concerned about not buying local on this one, they'll get my money big time when I replace my bike next year! 

The above responses are great! One additional question now, are any of the commonly available helmets better for whacking your head into something, or are they still mostly just designed for overhead projectiles?

Thanks! Helen

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Ice and rock climbing helmet? BD Vector? Others?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started