Mountain Project Logo

Place to Stay in NYC

Original Post
Alon Gurman · · Tel Aviv, Israel · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

Hi all!

My significant other and I are going on a climbing road trip in the U.S. We're flying from Israel and landing in NYC and will need to take care of a few things, so we're looking for someone to host us for 3 nights (17.9-20.9) somewhere in the city. We require very little more than a rooftop and are very much psyched. Once we're done we will embark on our road trip and your climbing karma will be off the charts! 

Alon

David K · · The Road, Sometimes Chattan… · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 423

I think you're going to have a hard time finding free space in NYC. Space is expensive here, so if people have empty space they usually have to rent it out to afford it.

If you're willing to camp, there are some decent, cheap options:

• Camp Gateway Brooklyn Tamarak and Goldenrod: This is probably the best option. It's in Brooklyn and accessible via the Q35 bus with a bit of a walk, or a cab. I've been here with friends who stayed overnight, but I haven't stayed overnight. Definitely make a reservation beforehand.

• Camp Gateway Staten Island Fort Wadsworth: Also in the city limits, but farther away from everything. It's probably possible to get here by public transportation too, but public transit to/from Staten Island is a big commitment. I haven't been here personally, but friends have stayed here overnight. Definitely make a reservation beforehand.

• Stephen's State Park, NJ: This requires a car to get to, but it's only about 90 minutes from Manhattan. I took a rock climbing class here, but have never camped. There's nothing particularly spectacular but there's some fun trad. I wouldn't go out of my way to go there for rock climbing here but proximity to the city makes it a better "staying in NYC" option than the better rock climbing spots.

• Harriman State Park, NY: Also requires a car, probably slightly easier to get to than Stephen's State Park, but also much more crowded.

Thanks for the reply David, that's definitely some useful info. I have been successful in the past with finding couches to crash on in NYC, so keeping my hopes up :)

Kevin Heckeler · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,616
Jackie Sweet · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2015 · Points: 82

Have you checked out couchsurfing? I've had great luck in the past

Mark L · · New York, NY · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but it is extremely unlikely that anyone would be willing to let you stay with them for free in the city.  In NYC, free space pretty much doesn't exist.  You should really look into finding something on airbnb.  Try focusing on the outer boroughs because anything in Manhattan/Western Brooklyn is going to cost you an arm and a leg.  You should also look for places in NJ that are accessible by train.  I'm not saying that you have zero chance of finding someone that is willing to take you in free of charge, but you are more likely to get hit by a taxi or a bus while visiting than that happening.  You could try posting on craigslist, but I would be very cautious in doing so because there are a lot of predator type weirdos out there that are looking to take advantage of people in many ways.  If it seems to good to be true, it most likely is.  I wish you the best of luck, and I hope that you are able to find something that meets your needs.  

Ta Bloodstone · · Minneapolis, MN · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 75

What about renting a minivan or an suv with fold down back seats for sleeping and sleep in the parking lot of Walmart? It's probably the cheapest option. And you have a ride to go places. Good luck! 

Happiegrrrl · · Gunks · Joined Dec 2005 · Points: 60
Rob D · · Queens, NY · Joined May 2011 · Points: 30
T Bloodstone wrote:

What about renting a minivan or an suv with fold down back seats for sleeping and sleep in the parking lot of Walmart? It's probably the cheapest option. And you have a ride to go places. Good luck! 

there aren't any walmarts in nyc 

Lisa Haze · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 35

Couchsurfer.com. 

Live Perched · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 21

Never say never...there are 23mm people in NYC and the surrounding area.   Perhaps you should share what you offer not just what you require. "Give me free rent for three nights" may not be the most compelling pitch to folks spending on average more than 40% of their pretax income on rent.   Good luck in your audacious quest. 

Kevin Heckeler · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,616
Happiegrrrl wrote:

I was thinking something similar but opted to let someone else (you) get crucified for posting it.

Pun intended.  Mind as well actually BE offensive, since even when I'm not it's assumed I am.  :D

Bitches.

Thanks for all the referrals to couchsurfing.com and airbnb y'all. You'd probably be glad to hear that I've made enough friends in past U.S road trips to actually pull this one off! Come hang at The Cliffs at LIC 19.9 evening and make friends with us so next time you're in Israel you can skip the airbnb part and just crash at my place :)

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "Place to Stay in NYC"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started