Mountain Project Logo

My Ideal Climbing Pack - Is It Out There?

Kurt G · · Monticello, UT · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 156
Alex Ghiggeri wrote:THE MAMMUT NEON GEAR 45 PACK!!! this is the bag of your dreams... trust me it has everything you asked for. im obsessed with mine. holds my sport gear, trad gear, 3 pairs of shoes helmet, chalk bags, slings, gloves, belay devices, brushes, cordalettes, and you can hang your rope off the top if needed....and can still fit lunch and water. Also comes with a rope tarp. opens from the top and backside. truly your do it all crag bag rei.com/product/878809/mamm…
the neon gear doesn't have a padded waist belt which is what the OP was looking for and also why I passed on the gear and went with the trion.
Suburban Roadside · · Abovetraffic on Hudson · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 2,419
MelOhMel wrote:I am on a hunt for my ideal climbing pack. I would really enjoying finding just a few specific features on one pack.. Features: Top loader PLUS alternate access to the main compartment (or a zipper that opens up completely), daisy chain and straps somewhere on the outside, more pockets than just one main compartment, padded waist belt. Size: 35L-50L Use: Climbing and camping at the crag - something that can hold quickdraws, rope (preferably exterior to conserve space), chalk bag, harness, climbing shoes, clothes, sleeping bag (packs down pretty small), water, and food. Some additional straps to secure my sleeping pad and tent would be fantastic. I would like this to be my one-stop bag for days we are going to hike to the crag and camp. Most packs I see do not have a secondary access to the main compartment, or they lack in complexity to organize gear properly while still being comfortable. I understand this pack may not be out there, but any suggestions will be a tremendous help! Just putting the feelers out... Thanks in advance!
Did You pull the trigger? what did you decide on?
These folks make quality gear.
mysteryranch.com/?utm_sourc…
Doug S · · W Pa · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 55
Simon W wrote: I have an older version of this pack and I also love it. It can also be used as a backcountry ski pack. It carries skis, and the front pocket is excellent for shovel and probe.
+1 Exactly. I have the Trion 45+7 and it does everything well. Ice, trad, multi-day alpine, BC ski; climbs well, comfortable, durable and it cinches down to almost nothing.
Melinda Russell · · Longmont · Joined May 2016 · Points: 10

So for a crag pack I went with the Millet Rockland 38 to just use on day trips. I absolutely love it! Folds all the way open, awesome rope-carrying system, quickdraw organization, rope tarp, and a couple extra pockets. But as for a multi-day, backpacking/crag pack, I have my eye set on the Mammut Trion Pro 50+7 . The Trion series seems to have great reviews. I'm just slightly concerned about the fit since I'm pretty darn small. I'll be pulling the trigger here in the next week then taking it on a 2-week trip to Kalymnos, Greece in October, so once I have a solid personal review, I'll be sure to give the details! I appreciate all the great input!

Jon Frisby · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 290

REI trail 40 fits most of your requirements. One of the few clamshells that has a legitimate waist belt

Doug Chism · · Arlington VA · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 45

I really like my BD Creek 35, and I imagine the 50 would be really nice as well. I got the 20 for my daughter. 

John L · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 10

I'm looking for my perfect climbing backpack        

1) Less than 1kg       

2) Side compression      

3) Hydration compatible

4) 25~35L with room for expansion    

5) Less than $200 including shipping (don't care if it's below $200 with or without discount)

6) Durable (At least 210D)

Arcterxy Alpha FL30 satisfies 1), 4), 5) ,and 6)

Black Diamond Speed 30 satisfies 2), 3), 4), 5), and 6)

Ortovox Trad 35  satisfies 1), 2), 3), 5), and 6)        

Cilogear 30 satisfies 1), 2), 3), 4), and 6)

I'm looking for a backpack that satisfies all of my requirements. Please Help?

Caleb Schwarz · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 120
M Bageant wrote: Check out the BD Creek packs, they come in 35L and 50L, ultra-durable haulbag-style top-loader but full-length side zipper lets you open the pack up. I've heard good things about the BD Stone series as well; they are more traditional pack designs, with the top loader and side zipper.

+1 I have the Creek 35 and a friend has the Creek 50 and they are the best designed and most durable cragging pack ever. Very specific use, but that's what makes them work so well. Every feature is made for cragging ease, with no all-around features to get in the way or complicate things. 

Eric Yergenson · · Montrose CO · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

I have a BD Axis 33, which has been discontinued but has been replaced by a sister pack the zip33. Which has BD's Ergo Activ suspension. And a pull out sleeve for extra storage and straps along the front of the pack. Also on the waist belt is gear loops for extra space in the pack, but wait...there's more! A front zipper that zips down the front half of the pack and two compartments on the top of the main sleeve. It has been the best $90 pack I've ever gotten.

David Lottmann · · Conway, NH · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 152

Ortovox Trad 25! A little smaller than what you are looking for but the organization and access is exactly what you are looking for! I did a detailed review here:

https://northeastalpinestart.com/2016/05/27/ortovox-trad-25-backpack-review/

jdejace · · New England · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 5
John L wrote:

I'm looking for my perfect climbing backpack        

1) Less than 1kg       

2) Side compression      

3) Hydration compatible

4) 25~35L with room for expansion    

5) Less than $200 including shipping (don't care if it's below $200 with or without discount)

6) Durable (At least 210D)

Arcterxy Alpha FL30 satisfies 1), 4), 5) ,and 6)

Black Diamond Speed 30 satisfies 2), 3), 4), 5), and 6)

Ortovox Trad 35  satisfies 1), 2), 3), 5), and 6)        

Cilogear 30 satisfies 1), 2), 3), 4), and 6)

I'm looking for a backpack that satisfies all of my requirements. Please Help?

Hey, 

Your post is a couple of weeks old so I don't know if you've bought a pack yet. You should be able to get the Speed 30 under 1kg by taking off the brain and hip belt padding. They are removable - no blade involved. This is how I have mine set up (preference more so than weight). The Arc'teryx has neither of these to begin with. The Speeds are good inexpensive packs. 

Melinda Russell · · Longmont · Joined May 2016 · Points: 10
Northeast Alpine Start wrote:

Ortovox Trad 25! A little smaller than what you are looking for but the organization and access is exactly what you are looking for! I did a detailed review here:

https://northeastalpinestart.com/2016/05/27/ortovox-trad-25-backpack-review/

I think this is my favorite looking one so far! Great suggestion. Do you think it will fit a shorter-than-average torso? I'm small..

jdejace wrote:

Hey, 

Your post is a couple of weeks old so I don't know if you've bought a pack yet. You should be able to get the Speed 30 under 1kg by taking off the brain and hip belt padding. They are removable - no blade involved. This is how I have mine set up (preference more so than weight). The Arc'teryx has neither of these to begin with. The Speeds are good inexpensive packs. 

Thank you, I just bought Speed 22. I figured it can expand extra 3~5L so it satisfies pretty much everything on the list. And like Speed 30, it's cheap, so I won't feel bad if I have to get a new one every 1~2 years.

Adam Gellman · · Bellingham WA/Burlington VT · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 261

the gregory zulu 40 is awesome for camping OR cragging but the size range you're talking about seems a little small for doing camping and climbing.

https://www.rei.com/product/895056/gregory-zulu-40-pack

Fly R · · Upstate, NY · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

EXPED SERAC or Black Ice both are 45L

Forever Outside · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 270

It's been about two years, did the OP ever find their perfect pack?

Adam Gellman wrote:

the gregory zulu 40 is awesome for camping OR cragging but the size range you're talking about seems a little small for doing camping and climbing.

https://www.rei.com/product/895056/gregory-zulu-40-pack

i do love my Zulu 40. Perfect for hiking and stuff.

Tried climbing with it..... Not so much

Maxwell Dergosits · · South Lake Tahoe · Joined May 2017 · Points: 104

The Speed 30 will satisfy 1) if you take out the back plate, the padded waist belt will also come off if you want to get really light. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Reviews
Post a Reply to "My Ideal Climbing Pack - Is It Out There? "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started