Mountain Project Logo

Thailand climbing partners

Cliff T · · Redondo Beach, CA · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 205

Hey everyone,

I have some time time off in the summer so I'm planning to head to Thailand for a month. I'm thinking 21 Jun to 19 July but I have some flexibility. I'm planning to go solo as of now so let me know if you're planning a trip around the same timeframe!

Cheers,

-cliff

Squeak · · Perth West OZ · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 21
Cliff T wrote:

Hey everyone,

I have some time time off in the summer so I'm planning to head to Thailand for a month. I'm thinking 21 Jun to 19 July but I have some flexibility. I'm planning to go solo as of now so let me know if you're planning a trip around the same timeframe!

Cheers,

-cliff

it's OFF season then so more rain and less people, but always a stunning place to be

Squeak wrote:

it's OFF season then so more rain and less people, but always a stunning place to be

Yeah, but flights are cheaper and accommodations cost about 1/4 of the price. LOL

I was actually there in February of this year and July of last year (2 weeks each) and there wasn't a huge difference. Sure it would rain in the summer but it really didn't impact our climbing significantly. It would maybe rain a couple hours here and there so you could climb around it and there were plenty of crags that are protected from it. We would usually climb in the morning, take a break for lunch (hottest part of the day and usually when rain would hit) then climb again in the afternoon/evening. We were able to climb 10 days out of 11 doing that.

Colleen · · Santa Barbara · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 20
Cliff T wrote:

Hey everyone,

Cheers,

-cliff

Hi Cliff, I will be traveling in Krabi around the same timeframe and looking for a partner to get some climbing in while I'm there. 

-Colleen 

scottiey · · scottsdale az · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 35

Hi I will be in Karbi from july-23 to august-3 to climb and scuba dive, my Thai #   099-002-0676 or 099-002-6026, I will be with family and they speak Thai fluently :)

Birgit G · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 0

Hi, I will be staying on Koh Phi Phi from November 29th to December 7th and I'm looking for climbing partners. Anyone around at this time?

Mallory Larsson · · Astoria, OR · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 0
  • I'll be around from November 14th to whenever in Thailand and will likely be on some beaches and islands the same time as you. Would love to climb!
Birgit G · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 0

Hi Mallory, this sounds great. I've sent you a message!

Jskierpx · · Truckee, CA · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 110

I will be arriving in Tonsai on Nov 26 and solo/available to climb for 8 days straight. My girlfriend is tying in with me after that and it will turn in to more of a climbing/diving trip. PM me if you're around those dates and interested in linking up!

Johnny Guty · · Tucson, Az · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

Hey everyone! I will be in Chiang Mai for 3 weeks starting September 12th and am looking for some climbing partners. I have been climbing for 3 years and sport climb up to 5.11's but am up to climb anything! I have have been backpacking around the world so I only have my personal gear (no rope or draws). I have a ton of experience lead climbing and belaying. Let me know if you are interested. :)

Thought it was worth posting here that I just bought the King Climbers guide book direct to do some trip planning. It is current, updated, and a great guide. Looked all over the web for a book shop in the US with it without success, but just go to http://www.railay.com/railay/climbing/climbing_book.shtml and follow the instructions. I received the book in about a week direct to my house in California, all the way from Krabi for ~$30 (shipping included). Pretty smokin deal IMO since we can pay over $40 for guidebooks here.

I’m be headed back to Tonsai again! This time I’ll be there from 4-11 November. Let me know if you’re looking for a partner. 

Rainbow Weinstock · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2007 · Points: 85

Jskierpx, I'll be in Tonsai for exactly the dates that you are and we sport climb at a very similar level according to your bio.  You still looking for a partner?

Rainbow Weinstock · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2007 · Points: 85

Hi all! I'm staying in Tonsai Nov 26- Dec 5 and looking to climb locally and at nearby places. I'm a professional guide from Boulder, CO with a good belay, rope and draws. I'm looking to find a safe and reliable partner (or two) for most of my time there. I would by happy on French grade 6 to 7- (5.10 to .12-) and want to do some multi-pitches with partners who are very experienced with those systems.

I'm also working and climbing in Chiang Mai/Crazy Horse until then if you're coming through and want to meet up or climb (on one of my days off.) Cheers!

Jared Goldberg · · Haifa, IL · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 125

Gonna be in tonsai/railay some time in late January - early feb and looking for confident partners to lead. I’m a 5.10a-b climber, I know that’s a little low when it comes to Thailand but I’m willing to try anything and I’m a solid and very safe belayer, just as long as I’m out climbing I’m all good. Ill be there as part of a backpacking trip so I’ll only have personal gear (harness, shoes, atc, grigri). Willing to do multi pitch with someone I’ve already climbed with for a day or two. Cheers! 

Alessio Ponti · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 0

I will be in Krabi from 25 to 29 December and in Phi Phi Island from 29 to 3 January. I am looking for climbing partners. Anyone around at this time?

Elizabeth Hutchings · · Jackson, WY · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0
Jessica Rengaw wrote: Hey there! I'm living in Nakhon Si Thammarat and will be spending my holiday in Krabi climbing (the entire month of April) let me know if you'd like to meet up and send some! Cheers Jess

Hey Jessica,

I'll be in Thailand in April, will be bringing harness, shoes,sling and draws. Only leading 9/10a right now after a few months of not climbing but happy to belay and get on some routes. Would love to get some climbing in!

Cheers,

-Ellie

Squeak · · Perth West OZ · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 21
Elizabeth Hutchings wrote:

Hey Jessica,

I'll be in Thailand in April, will be bringing harness, shoes,sling and draws. Only leading 9/10a right now after a few months of not climbing but happy to belay and get on some routes. Would love to get some climbing in!

Cheers,

-Ellie

Ill see you there :) Im there from the 14th if you need a belay   

Won Stanley · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

Gonna be back in Railay/Tonsai March 4th for a few weeks. Let me know if anyone wants to climb. Down for single or multi pitch. Ciao. 

Hey everyone, I thought I would give a little input as this thread helped me out last month when I was in Thailand. First of all, Tonsai/Railay is still a dream spot for climbers like us. I had a blast spending 3 weeks in the country. I ended up securing a partner for part of my time there through this tread which was awesome. We met up and jumped on a bunch of the classic routes. Definitely invest in the King Climbers guide book, and definitely check out all the multi pitch routes you can. 

Even though I had a partner set up prior to arriving, don’t fret if you do not. If you are staying in Tonsai, you will be surrounded by dirtbag climbers every direction you look and finding a partner is as easy as showing up on the beach and making friends. I spent a week at the Mountain View Resort in Tonsai which was around $20/night for my own bungalow with a private bathroom, WiFi, no frills but worth the money. You can also book online ahead on Agoda. You can still find cheaper options around, but in general you get what you pay for in Tonsai so if you can afford “splurging” $15-$30/night versus $5-$15, you will be quite a bit more comfortable. 

As far as Tonsai tummy, it is really hit or miss. I made it 2 weeks without issue, eating at several spots in Tonsai. I went to a restaurant that I had eaten at at-least 5 times before, and got sick. Up all night vomiting, my girlfriend having it come out of both ends at once...pleasant I know.

A word about drinking water. It has been mentioned here that you can find 5 gallon jugs at some places. I got lucky and Mama’s restaurant had one they sold me for 200baht, and gave me 100baht back when I returned the empty jug. With it I was able to last 5 days refilling my personal water bottle, never buying a plastic bottle and thus not producing any (plastic bottle) trash for my stay. The caveat is that after I finished my first 5 gallon jug, I had a hard time finding another spot to sell me a replacement, and Mama’s was low so she wouldn’t sell me another. My advice, try your best to ask around everywhere to get yourself a big jug. Worst case you are unsuccessful, but they will know there is a demand for them and it may get easier over time. They know there is a trash problem and plastic bottles are one of the worst offenders, so I do believe they are working on this.

Lastly, the Tonsai vs Railay option for where to stay... If you are going to climb, meet climbers, and have a more backpackers type trip, stay in Tonsai. I spent another week in Railay with my girlfriend and it is nice, just different. More clueless travelers with rolling suitcases there to tan and take selfies in front of the long tails.

Enjoy your stay!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Extended Trips and International Partners
Post a Reply to "Thailand climbing partners"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started