Mountain Project Logo

Hiker Death at Devils Lake

Original Post
Mason Mueller · · Milwaukee, WI · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,087

This article is from Sept 3rd 2017

http://www.jsonline.com/story/news/local/wisconsin/2017/09/03/man-dies-fall-devils-lake-state-park/629654001/?cookies=&from=global

Anyone know more about this? Be safe out there people and look out for your fellow man. If it doesn't look right or dosent look safe say something.

Double J · · Sandy, UT · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 3,952

Other news reports described it as a hiker that fell from the Devil's Doorway area. 

Chalk in the Wind · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 3

I also read reports that made it sound like a hiker. One of them mentioned recent damp weather as well, and that the trail around there gets extremely slick in those conditions.

Mason Mueller · · Milwaukee, WI · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,087

Thanks for the update. I also read on other sources it was a hiker.

NegativeK · · Nevada · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 40

Yeah. He was a hiker, directly below Devil's Doorway. We (some CMCers) were heading up to clean our anchors at Major Mass when one of us became the first responder. Someone outside our group was talking to 911 and helping provide instruction while two provided CPR for 20-30 minutes; a couple others and I spread out and helped EMS/DNR along the climber's access.

Immediately before, we were making comments on the way up about how the rock was treacherous due to the rain. Go figure. 

Double J · · Sandy, UT · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 3,952

Man, thats a bummer story NegativeK.  

Doug Hemken · · Madison, WI · Joined Oct 2004 · Points: 13,680

I hadn't realized you all helped them get to the location!

NegativeK · · Nevada · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 40

Sure as hell gave me a lot of respect for people who are (even untrained) first responders and the EMS/DNR who must've absolutely booked it up the trails.

James Schroeder · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined May 2002 · Points: 3,166
NegativeK wrote:

Sure as hell gave me a lot of respect for people who are (even untrained) first responders and the EMS/DNR who must've absolutely booked it up the trails.

Yeah, BDEMS is pretty quick to get there. It's impressive.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Midwest
Post a Reply to "Hiker Death at Devils Lake"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started