Mountain Project Logo

New Android App - Request for Beta Testers

Original Post
Sam Vanderhyden · · Lyons, CO · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 15

We're nearing completion of a complete re-write of the Mountain Project app for Android. If you've got an Android device running 4.1 or newer and want to help us test, post or send me a PM with your email address. I'll be sending invites in the next few days.

Thanks in advance!

Jacob Staelin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 0

PM'd

Snah Ntrm · · Seattle · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 0

I can test. Lets hope its better than the new iOS app...

Chase G · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 169

PM'd

Sam Vanderhyden · · Lyons, CO · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 15

Bump - if you're going climbing this weekend and have an Android device, we could still use a few more testers. I've you're interested, PM me your email address.

RJ SR · · Mountain View, CA · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 0

Did the app just roll out to everybody? It looks like my saved areas and photos were all deleted in the upgrade, which happened automatically via the Google Play store :(. This was bad timing, since we were out for the day on a multi-pitch climb and were suddenly without route info or photos.

Jason Todd · · Cody, WY · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,114
RJ Ryan wrote:

This was bad timing, since we were out for the day on a multi-pitch climb and were suddenly without route info or photos.

Summit glory? 

Or Bail?

Nick Wilder · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 4,098
RJ Ryan wrote:

Did the app just roll out to everybody? It looks like my saved areas and photos were all deleted in the upgrade, which happened automatically via the Google Play store :(. This was bad timing, since we were out for the day on a multi-pitch climb and were suddenly without route info or photos.

This is a crappy experience, and we're sorry about that.  It's inconvenienced a lot of you and we know it.  We completely re-did that way data is downloaded and stored and could not come up with a way to migrate from the old method to the new method, as we have done with all the minor data changes we've had in the past.

Kyle vH · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 16

Do you want feedback in this thread? I'll start here but I'll move it if you suggest another location.

Why can't I save a location (bookmark a location)? I end up navigating the entirety of N. America just to get back to one corner of one crag that I'm climbing at...

Example: It's seven clicks to get to El Monte from the home page: California>Areas>Taquitz&Suicide>Taquitz>North Face>See all 16 routes>El Monte. 

It must be even crazier at Joshua Tree which is so deeply nested. Maybe this is what 'To-Dos' is for? But then you have to scroll a time-based list of possibly hundreds of routes...or filter by title but that assumes you remember the name...

A quick bookmark feature would really make a day a the crag simpler I think.

Kyle vH wrote:

Do you want feedback in this thread? I'll start here but I'll move it if you suggest another location.

Why can't I save a location (bookmark a location)? I end up navigating the entirety of N. America just to get back to one corner of one crag that I'm climbing at...

Example: It's seven clicks to get to El Monte from the home page: California>Areas>Taquitz&Suicide>Taquitz>North Face>See all 16 routes>El Monte. 

It must be even crazier at Joshua Tree which is so deeply nested. Maybe this is what 'To-Dos' is for? But then you have to scroll a time-based list of possibly hundreds of routes...or filter by title but that assumes you remember the name...

A quick bookmark feature would really make a day a the crag simpler I think.

We're going to bring back bookmarks in the next couple months.

DrApnea · · Wenatchee, WA · Joined May 2011 · Points: 265

also when backing out from a tick or ToDo, the list starts at the top of the list again.  This means scrolling down, sometimes hundreds of climbs, to find the next one on your list that was right below the original one you were looking at.  Please have the back button bring you back to the list you were looking at in the same spot it was at previously (not defaulting to the top of the list)/  Thanks.

DrApnea wrote:

also when backing out from a tick or ToDo, the list starts at the top of the list again.  This means scrolling down, sometimes hundreds of climbs, to find the next one on your list that was right below the original one you were looking at.  Please have the back button bring you back to the list you were looking at in the same spot it was at previously (not defaulting to the top of the list)/  Thanks.

Try tapping the title of route and that will let you scroll through them left to right.

DrApnea · · Wenatchee, WA · Joined May 2011 · Points: 265
Nick Wilder wrote:

Try tapping the title of route and that will let you scroll through them left to right.

That is not what I was trying to do.  I am trying to get back into the list of ticks at the same location as where I was.  I just verified it does work for ToDos but not for ticks.  

• Open app
  • Select to-dos & ticks
  • Select Ticks
  • Scroll down and select any tick
  • hit the back arrow on the top left to exit that climb and return to the list
  • The list is shown but you are at the very top of the list, ie not at the tick you selected before
  • Now you have to scroll down through hundreds of climbs to find the one that was right below it in the list...  :( 

The problem does not seem to be present in the ToDos however.  

I like the ability to move left and right by selecting the title at the top, but that is not the next/previous in the list, it shows the climb left and right of the one you are looking at.

Kyle vH · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 16
Nick Wilder wrote:

We're going to bring back bookmarks in the next couple months.

Cool, thank you for this effort. I can't imagine climbing without this app now.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

iPhone & Android App Feedback
Post a Reply to "New Android App - Request for Beta Testers"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.