Mountain Project Logo

Need Barcelona Climbing Beta

Original Post
Tyler Smith · · Houston, TX · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 0

Looking for some beta/guidebook recommendations on the local sport/bouldering crags of Barcelona.  Areas with a good mix of intermediates would be a plus.  I'm bringing a friend who has never climbed outside before. Thanks!

Alan Rubin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 10

Check the Rockfax website. I know at one time they had a printable guidebook to some of the crags close to Barcelona though I don't know if it is still available. In addition, several major areas are within reasonable day trip distance of the city, most notably Montserrat--conglomerate--to the west (about 11/2 hour drive)and the various areas of the Sierra de Prades to the southwest (about 2 hours)---most appropriate crags in that region for your needs are La Mussara, Mont Ral, and Arboli (all in the Tarragona Climbs guidebook by Pete O'Donovan).

Tyler Smith · · Houston, TX · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 0

You are a saint, thank you very much!!

mountainhick · · Black Hawk, CO · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 120

I was there last spring, had a great time!

If you are there for a climbing trip, not to live in the city, car rental is super cheap, and there are plenty of AirBnBs around as well as a few climber's hostels.  Within a day's drive there are heaps of different areas with climbing from moderate to severe.  

If you are actually in the city, Barrabes has a good selection of guidebooks. If you need gear, some of their sales are great deals, and you can source some reasonable quality cheap gear from the Decathlon chain stores.

I spent time climbing mostly at Camarasa and Terradets, stayed at AirBnbs in Sant LLorenc de Montgai and Talarn. Lived well and reasonably cheaply by splitting rent with climbing partners. It helps to book AirBnBs ahead, you'll find better prices.

Grant Kendrick 1 · · Northampton, Massachusetts · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 0

Montserrat is well worth a visit; it's accessible by train from Barcelona which connects to a cable car up to the monastery, then a half hour walk up to the domes where a bunch of climbing routes are.  There are several 3-4 pitch bolted moderates which are really fun, as well as some areas of single pitch bolted routes in a variety of grades.  It's very picturesque, and the church at the monastery, which houses the Black Virgin statue, is spectacular.  We used the Rockfax guide and found it very adequate in finding our way around. 

Xavi Coll · · Barcelona · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

International
Post a Reply to "Need Barcelona Climbing Beta"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started