Mountain Project Logo

Jackson Wyoming

Original Post
Kay F · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 0

Hey! I need some advice/help... so my boyfriend and I are looking to move to Jackson Wyoming maybe in another year or two. We are thinking of moving in end of summer/ fall. I have a fwd car. I know 4wd is highly recommended and even encouraged but I cannot afford one yet. Would getting snow tires help for a little until I could afford to get a new one? Also what kind of weather does that part of Wyoming receive daily? I know tornadoes are know up there but is there anything else? Thank you!

BigNobody · · all over, mostly Utah · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 10

1/10 

rgold · · Poughkeepsie, NY · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 526

Real estate in Jackson is sky-high.  A lot of the non-rich folks who work in Jackson live in Driggs or Victor (Idaho).  Commuting over Teton Pass can be a hassle, but things are more affordable over there.

rgold wrote:

Real estate in Jackson is sky-high.  A lot of the non-rich folks who work in Jackson live in Driggs or Victor (Idaho).  Commuting over Teton Pass can be a hassle, but things are more affordable over there.

We have a place that we can rent in Jackson. His mom owns the place so she will be renting it out to us. Are jobs hard to find in Jackson? 

DavisMeschke Guillotine · · Pinedale, WY · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 225

Jackson is a glamourous place to live, but realize that the job you get will most likely not allow you to live comfortably there. There are cheap places to be found, but these are few and far between and are in danger of becoming hotels within the next 5-10 years. Living in Voctor/Driggs sounds great as well -- away from the Jackson "craziness" and just a "short" commute -- but commuting over the pass SUCKS (about an hour both ways, more if there's bad winter weather). Sometimes you may be stuck in Jackson for a couple days while they clear the Pass, like what happened many times this past winter. The Tetons are an incredible place to play, I'm not doubting that -- I regularly find myself skipping a weekend in my home mountains to run, ski or climb there -- but realize that you may be giving up other things to live there. The winters are nice and quiet, but the summers are a bit of a shitshow with all the recent interest in the national parks. 

Skibo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 5

Front wheel drive will be adequate for most driving.  Snow tires will help a lot.  I lived there for 12 years, and used 4wd mostly to get out of the driveway or pulling others out.  Clearance may be an issue--there will be lots of berms around to break through--parking lots, driveways, etc.  Jackson Hole gets lots of snow. There will be places you shouldn't go, and you'll just have to use your judgement.  Always carry a shovel, chains and a tow strap!  Slide offs happen, whether you're driving 4wd or FWD.  People are good about helping if you do.  Oh, and weather--don't know of any tornadoes.  Fires regionally but usually not too close to Jackson. Moderate summers--80 degrees feels hot. Lots of snow.  Not much rain (April and May--most precip. falls as snow).  Sub-zero (F) temps are pretty common in winter (historical extreme down to -40 or so, but very rare--15 below common), but the clear weather and sun make it no big deal--lots of solar radiation.  Get a block heater installed in your car so you can plug it and make it easier to start (and prevent freeze up).

Skibo wrote:

Front wheel drive will be adequate for most driving.  Snow tires will help a lot.  I lived there for 12 years, and used 4wd mostly to get out of the driveway or pulling others out.  Clearance may be an issue--there will be lots of berms around to break through--parking lots, driveways, etc.  Jackson Hole gets lots of snow. There will be places you shouldn't go, and you'll just have to use your judgement.  Always carry a shovel, chains and a tow strap!  Slide offs happen, whether you're driving 4wd or FWD.  People are good about helping if you do.  Oh, and weather--don't know of any tornadoes.  Fires regionally but usually not too close to Jackson. Moderate summers--80 degrees feels hot. Lots of snow.  Not much rain (April and May--most precip. falls as snow).  Sub-zero (F) temps are pretty common in winter (historical extreme down to -40 or so, but very rare--15 below common), but the clear weather and sun make it no big deal--lots of solar radiation.  Get a block heater installed in your car so you can plug it and make it easier to start (and prevent freeze up).

Thank you that makes me feel better about my car. I will make sure I have a shovel at all times. I'm looking forward to the snow! Thanks for the information.

jacob lyman · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

I'm in Jackson, camped on family land next to the park in my RV's. Come through anyone who's in the area- hot showers and free van/home parking for anyone and everyone. PM for phone #.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Wyoming, Montana, Dakotas
Post a Reply to "Jackson Wyoming"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started