Mountain Project Logo

Camping labor day weekend in tahoe

Original Post
Sean Sullivan · · Idyllwild, CA · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 105

Hey all,

We are planning arrive in Tahoe late on the Friday of labor day weekend. We are planning to climb near the donner pass.  

I wasn't able to find any reservable camping, so we are just going to drive and try out luck.

Some questions: 

Will we be able to find camping arriving that late? 

Where would be best to look?

How long would it take to drive from the free camping on the phantom spires to donner pass?

Has anyone camped in the mt. Rose wilderness area?

Thanks for the help,

Sean Sullivan 

Tapawingo Markey · · Reno? · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 75
Sean Sullivan wrote:

Hey all,

We are planning arrive in Tahoe late on the Friday of labor day weekend. We are planning to climb near the donner pass.  

I wasn't able to find any reservable camping, so we are just going to drive and try out luck.

Some questions: 

Will we be able to find camping arriving that late? 

Where would be best to look?

How long would it take to drive from the free camping on the phantom spires to donner pass?

Has anyone camped in the mt. Rose wilderness area?

Thanks for the help,

Sean Sullivan 

Don't bet on finding any available sites at Donner State Park. You could try granite flat campgrounds (noisy), campgrounds near Boca Reservoir (30min from Donner), or the campgrounds near Cisco Grove (also 20-30min drive). Here's a good resource http://www.arounddonnersummit.com/lodging/campgrounds.html

Phantom spires is nowhere near Donner and would be heinous with holiday traffic so if you camp there then I'd climb in SLT. I'd say plan on 2hour minimum to get to Donner. Although you might even be hard pressed to score a spot there late Friday. 

Mt Rose doesn't really offer up much in terms of car camping opportunities and isn't near Donner anyhow. if you have high clearance you could drive to Fordyce Lake but that's going to be a solid 45min from Donner. 

GizzardJones · · Pollock Pines, CA · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 610
Sean Sullivan · · Idyllwild, CA · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 105

Thanks for the feedback.

Tapawingo Markey · · Reno? · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 75
Sean Sullivan wrote:

Thanks for the feedback.

If you end up going out off Hwy 20 you could even consider heading to Bowman Lake area to camp/climb. Lots of fun sport routes and a handful of cracks. 

Ned · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 10

Lots of space around Prosser Creek Reservoir (off Prosser Dam Rd). Just make sure you're in National Forest land and you should be good.

amselby Selby · · Truckee, CA · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 10

Sean,

The AAC Tahoe Chapter is having a Climbers Gathering on Doner Summit and offering  free primitive camping 2 min drive from the climbing. For more info check out http://www.tahoesportshub.com/boulderbash2017 & https://www.facebook.com/AACTahoeChapter/

Cheers, Adam

Suzanne Dee · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 0

Hi, my Canadian climbing sister and I will be out in Tahoe from 2-5 Sep and looking to climb with folks who trad since that dominates. We are sport climbers up to 5.9. Could we join you one day?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "Camping labor day weekend in tahoe"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.