Mountain Project Logo

Shooting attempt in LCC

Diego Fence post · · Texas · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 10

While bouldering solo yesterday at mile 5, I drove to the next turnout to turn around and when I did, a green sedan parked in front of me with a couple vatos getting out of the car and another white fully tinted scraper also pulled over. As someone with tattoos and mexican I didnt think much of it...but the car was a green sedan and they werent there to hike or climb..just saying

IcePick · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 100

This may or may not be related but this thread was in the same area only a few weeks ago.

https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/message/113474491

Chris C · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 407
Diego Gamez wrote:

While bouldering solo yesterday at mile 5, I drove to the next turnout to turn around and when I did, a green sedan parked in front of me with a couple vatos getting out of the car and another white fully tinted scraper also pulled over. As someone with tattoos and mexican I didnt think much of it...but the car was a green sedan and they werent there to hike or climb..just saying

You should probably report that to the police. 

Allen Sanderson · · On the road to perdition · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,203
Blake Summers wrote:

Is this for real? Seems like that would make the news. 

http://www.sltrib.com/news/2017/08/29/shots-fired-toward-rock-climbers-in-little-cottonwood-canyon/

Stevie Nacho · · Utah · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 671

Time to stop wearing all those super bright neon colors and blend in with the rock. At least till this gets resolved. Very serious. 

grog m · · Saltlakecity · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 70

WTF!!! I need to get a gun for my car. 

Morgan Patterson · · NH · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 8,960
Diego Gamez wrote:

You absolutely 100 percent should have already called the police... it sounds as though you haven't and if not you owe it to everyone in your area, their lives and safety to report exactly what you saw...

Mark Billie · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 0

This is nuts. Wonder what outcome from the police investigation (if there is a proper investigation) will be...

John Barritt · · The 405 · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 1,083
grog m aka Greg McKee wrote:

WTF!!! I need to get a gun for my car. 

It won't do you anymore good in the car than it would at home or in the gun store. You need a gun for your backpack................ ;)

Charlie S · · NV · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 2,391

So glad to hear you're ok.

The vandalism, and now this, breaks my heart over this wonderful canyon.  It is my favorite place in Utah.  I can't begin to understand what drives people to do so many horrible things in and to it.

Perhaps this will serve as an impulse to get serious about the car break-ins which have plagued the canyon for years.  Clearly, they got bored with breaking into cars.

Stagg54 Taggart · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 10
Mark Billie wrote:

This is nuts. Wonder what outcome from the police investigation (if there is a proper investigation) will be...

I imagine there will be a proper investigation.  Usually cops take shooting incidents pretty seriously.

Tristan Mayfield · · SLC, UT · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 345

I agree with Charlie, it's just tragic that something like this has happened in such a special place. Makes me question going up and doing any climbing up there anytime soon, and that really sucks.

ddriver · · SLC · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 2,084
Chris C. wrote:

You should probably report that to the police. 

Probably?

BrokenChairs 88 · · Denver, CO · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 240

Next item on the gear list... kevlar body suit.  

Seriously though this is one of the shittiest things I've heard. What pitch were you on and did any have a chance to inspect the damage?  Glad everyone is okay that's some scary shit right there. 

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

So Samuel Clairmont, 

Are you the same as the hikers that were shot at around 6pm, or is this a different group? https://www.ksl.com/?sid=45598379&nid=148&title=shots-fired-at-climbers-in-little-cottonwood-canyon

More than one news outlet says the casings were found around 5267 E. LCC Road (not near Pentapitch) . I'm not saying that I trust the news (I don't), but several things they are reporting are different than your account. 

Also, where the rock face "exploded" 5-10 feet away from you - was there damage to the rock? Seems like it would be pretty obvious.  

You heard gunshots "whistle past" you? Gunshots don't whistle, especially when they are close to you.

You still got the onsight even though you were climbing or rapping the route?  

So many conflicting reports. Maybe you can clear some stuff up.  

BigB · · Red Rock, NV · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 340
Price wrote:

So Samuel Clairmont, 

Are you the same as the hikers that were shot at around 6pm, or is this a different group? https://www.ksl.com/?sid=45598379&nid=148&title=shots-fired-at-climbers-in-little-cottonwood-canyon

More than one news outlet says the casings were found around 5267 E. LCC Road (not near Pentapitch) . I'm not saying that I trust the news (I don't), but several things they are reporting are different than your account. 

Also, where the rock face "exploded" 5-10 feet away from you - was there damage to the rock? Seems like it would be pretty obvious.  

You heard gunshots "whistle past" you? Gunshots don't whistle, especially when they are close to you.

You still got the onsight even though you were climbing or rapping the route?  

So many conflicting reports. Maybe you can clear some stuff up.  

awwww schizt

Salt Lake Climbers Alliance · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2014 · Points: 220

Anyone with information about the shooting, who may have seen or heard anything around that time, is asked to contact UPD at 801-743-7000.

Diego Fence post · · Texas · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 10

Sorry I'm not gonna call the cops on a few brown folks in the canyons. I also look like I fit a description and I have the handcuff scars to prove it. Besides what am I gonna say? I don't have a plate number or anything else. So now every brown guy with a green car is gonna get pulled over..

Look, this sucks, I love pentapitch and stifflers mom. I left the hood and moved here to climb and it would suck to be blasted on the wall but I'm also not gonna make a report myself..if anyone else wants to For me I'm more than willing to dictate.

Also just heard at around 5:30 there were a bunch of rednecks in camouflage in lcc.

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

One more thing: the SLTrib says they were firing about 500 feet from the climbers. Did they mean 500 yards? Because I'm pretty sure anywhere on 5pitch is more than 500 feet off the road.

Past User · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 1,069

To the thought police Admin who silently deleted mine and others comments from the first page: I am bothered by your behavior. Typed words are a notoriously difficult medium through which to effectively communicate satire. You mistook mine (and possibly others) messages. The free-thinking adults among us do not need your independent judicious expertise to aid our minds in the filtering of meaningful posts from what you deem un-meaningful.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern Utah & Idaho
Post a Reply to "Shooting attempt in LCC"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started