Mountain Project Logo

Climbing book for Olympic National forest

Original Post
Alex Traynor · · Santa Fe, NM · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 0

Hi Washington folk!

I'll be visiting Seattle late August and am hoping to do some sport/easy trad climbing in the area. I was thinking about checking out Olympic national park/forest, camping and climbing there. Does anyone have good suggestions for a climbing book for this area? Or am I better off just sticking with mountain project? 

Thanks!

Jerimiah We · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 0

There's a book I think is called Olympic mountains a climbers guide. It's mostly alpine routes but it has a section on the few developed sport areas. I've been to mccleary cliffs and wasn't real impressed (moss and choss). I've heard Elwha and hamma hamma are better quality though.

Drederek · · Olympia, WA · Joined Mar 2004 · Points: 315

www.climbersguideolympics.com   Elwha wall is by far the best crag and its not great.  You'll be happier at the Exits or Index or Leavenworth for climbing.  The camping and peakbagging are what the Olympics are for

Cosmic Charlie · · Washington · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 0

Not a ton of cragging out on the Olympics.  I would focus time backpacking in the park and coming over to the main land for some cragging.  LIke Drederek said - Index/Leavenworth are you best bets.  Mazama if you want to go north and see the North Cascades which is highly recommended.  Stop up at Washington Pass and get some awesome alpine climbing in on your way up.  

Alex Traynor · · Santa Fe, NM · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 0

Sounds good. Thanks for the suggestions!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Pacific Northwest
Post a Reply to "Climbing book for Olympic National forest"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started