Mountain Project Logo

Nashville Area TR?

Original Post
Jeremiah Gourd · · Essexville, MI · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 0

coming down to Nashville from Michigan for the eclipse.  looking for a place to do some top rope climbing.  Any suggestions within a couple hours?

thanks in advance for the help.

Jeremiah

Ryan Nichols · · Nashville, TN · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 5

No real "top rope crags" around here, but Kings Bluff in Clarksville is close and has some really easy stuff to lead.  It's typically hot as hell in the summer.  You can get a few top ropes set up at Sunset in Chattanooga.  Get there in the morning to avoid afternoon heat.

JoshP · · Cleveland, OH · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 15

If you're in the city for the eclipse just go to the gym. King's will be hot and frictionless, and Chattanooga is generally an all day ordeal. Enjoy the totality, bruh.

NOFF · · Big South Fork, TN · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 16

Jeremiah,

There is a small cliff below Percy Priest Dam, off of I-40 East. Go downstream on river right, then just past the interstate. It's steep limestone, with bouldering, and a few sport routes. You could also access the top to set up some top ropes. It's called Toxic Wall. There is some info under destinations on MP. Unfortunately, some people have posted route names and grades that are not accurate. This cliff has been climbed for close to thirty years. People come down and claim FA's, but they were climbed years ago. If you don't want to drive out of Nashville, it will at least get you on some rock. 

Jeremiah Gourd · · Essexville, MI · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 0

Hey thanks for the info guys!  Maybe I'll check out toxic in the morning before the eclipse.  Otherwise I have an excuse to come back down...

Jeremiah

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern States
Post a Reply to "Nashville Area TR?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started