Mountain Project Logo

"Hikers" rescued from the North Ridge of Grand

Original Post
Stan Pitcher · · SLC, UT · Joined Oct 2002 · Points: 210

We had to bail from our objectives there Monday, weather was pretty feisty!

Glad everything turned out well for them.

https://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=45439495&nid=1419

Buff Johnson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2005 · Points: 1,145

hike with the hobnails, all the cool kids are doing it

cdawg lion · · BeaUTAHfull · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 165

2 days to get to Owen?! That's not the right way to do the GT

Andy Novak · · Bailey, CO · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 370

I've never been on the GT so I'm Monday-morning quarterbacking here, but isn't the standard (only) bail point off Gunsight or the Grandstand and into Valhalla? Why continue onto the North Ridge in such poor conditions?  And yeah, two days to get to Owen? Yikes.  

James Schroeder · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined May 2002 · Points: 3,166
Andy Novak wrote:

I've never been on the GT so I'm Monday-morning quarterbacking here, but isn't the standard (only) bail point off Gunsight or the Grandstand and into Valhalla? Why continue onto the North Ridge in such poor conditions?  And yeah, two days to get to Owen? Yikes.  

I've been on a Grandstand in a storm, and my partner and I pretty-much figured that up-and-over the Grand was the fastest and easiest way home. Maybe not the safest in a thunderstorm, but the fastest and easiest. We bivied on the Grandstand until the weather cleared-up.

Mike-Mayhem · · North Bend, WA · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 70
Andy Novak wrote:

Before getting to gunsight they could've easily bailed into Valhalla canyon via the west ledges. My partner and I descended them after climbing serendipity arete in about 2 hours. And yeah 2 days to get to Owen...

Allen Sanderson · · On the road to perdition · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,203
Andy Novak wrote:

There are multiple points to bail along the Grand Traverse. Between Teewinot and Owen one can descend to the Teton Glacier. On the Grandstand one can bail to the east (Teton Glacier) or west (Valhalla). 

If these two planned to take two days to get to the Grandstand means they were carrying lots of stuff and were moving very slowly. I can see taking a day to the Grandstand. But yes, yikes two days??

Stan Pitcher · · SLC, UT · Joined Oct 2002 · Points: 210

Ya looks like they were were pretty comfortable - guess some people prefer slow and heavy to light and fast.   Do wonder what they would have done without a cell signal?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10155698596082962&set=a.433418242961.207180.508242961&type=3&theater

Justin Meyer · · Madison, WI · Joined May 2012 · Points: 47

My partner and I were attempting to climb the grand at the same time as this rescue was happening. We retreated due to icy conditions just above the lower saddle. Just after we started hiking down we saw a helicopter briefly land at the ranger hut on the lower saddle and then take off again. We later heard that climbers were being rescued. I'm glad they made it down safely.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Wyoming, Montana, Dakotas
Post a Reply to ""Hikers" rescued from the North Ridge of Grand"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started