Mountain Project Logo

RRG crags with access for rappels

Original Post
Justin Griggs · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 35

I'm headed down to the Red next week with some friends, and I'm hoping to do some photography of them while they climb.  Are there any crags where I'd have relatively easy access to hike up to the top of face, set an anchor and rap off to get some shots from the wall?  Or with a relatively easy (5.5-5.6) climb that I could do and set my static line from the anchors?

Tom Stoltz 1 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 35
DrRockso RRG · · Red River Gorge, KY · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 815

Tom although generally incredibly useful,  the tool really doesn't answer the op's question at all. 

Justin,  no there aren't a lot of spots where you could do this without trespassing on private property. The areas you could do it would be mostly at Trad areas in the Northern gorge. Your best bet is to learn how to use an ascender and have your friends set a fixed line on the anchors of the climb or an adjacent climb.  

Tom Stoltz 1 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 35

He can use the advanced search to find crags with easy routes. Then look up crag info to see approach and other routes in the area. 

Medic741 · · Des Moines, IA (WTF) · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 265

Or just stick clip you're way up & jug up to the higher bolt while on belay

Daniel B · · Michigan · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 257

It would help to know what sort of routes you're trying to shoot your friends on. There are almost definitely places that meet your criteria of easy routes nearby.

DrRockso wrote:

Tom although generally incredibly useful,  the tool really doesn't answer the op's question at all. 

Justin,  no there aren't a lot of spots where you could do this without trespassing on private property. The areas you could do it would be mostly at Trad areas in the Northern gorge. Your best bet is to learn how to use an ascender and have your friends set a fixed line on the anchors of the climb or an adjacent climb.  

Thanks for the input, we may try northern gorge!  I do have a couple ascenders, and having someone fix a line and jugging up it is my plan B, I'd just rather save them the hassle of setting the line.

Daniel Bologna wrote:

It would help to know what sort of routes you're trying to shoot your friends on. There are almost definitely places that meet your criteria of easy routes nearby.

Most of them are comfortable leading 10c, one in the group can lead 12a.  We also have a couple able to lead trad 5.9.  I'm sure when we start picking routes, we'll be able to find one with an easy route next to it

DrRockso RRG · · Red River Gorge, KY · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 815
Justin Griggs wrote:

Thanks for the input, we may try northern gorge!  I do have a couple ascenders, and having someone fix a line and jugging up it is my plan B, I'd just rather save them the hassle of setting the line.

The problem with setting a line on an easy adjacent climb is they are generally very popular and you would be hindering other parties ability to get on the route.  Good luck!

Medic741 · · Des Moines, IA (WTF) · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 265
Justin Griggs wrote:

Most of them are comfortable leading 10c, one in the group can lead 12a.  We also have a couple able to lead trad 5.9.  I'm sure when we start picking routes, we'll be able to find one with an easy route next to it

Lol those grades are the easy routes...

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern States
Post a Reply to "RRG crags with access for rappels"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started