Mountain Project Logo

Smoking at the crag

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

It may be that the real issue here is that some see 2nd hand smoke as harmless while others don't.  I suppose that is a debate in and of itself.  I will leave it alone.

builttospill · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 0
Spencer Parkin wrote:

It may be that the real issue here is that some see 2nd hand smoke as harmless while others don't.  I suppose that is a debate in and of itself.  I will leave it alone.

Jesus christ, no one is suggesting that secondhand smoke is harmless.  That's not what the debate is or was about.  Regular or even occasional exposure can be harmful.  In the amounts that you might inhale while 30 feet off the deck -- after much of the smoke has dissipated -- one time, on one day, at one crag, it is essentially harmless.

Spencer, are you allergic to smoke?  That is, will you have an asthma attack from exposure?  If so, you should explain that to someone who is smoking.  If they continue to smoke, they're a dick.  If you don't have a genuine allergy to cigarette smoke and you just don't like the smell or you think inhaling one partial-lungful while climbing is going to make you peel off a low-angle slab, then you need to buck up.

Creed Archibald · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,016
Spencer Parkin wrote:

What you may not realize is that I was out of breath and all I had to breath was poison air.  I could not escape to fresh air; I was on the sharp end.  Can I please let this desire be a little more important than your smoking habit, just for the moment?

Give me a break.

Spencer Parkin - Are you a real person? You seem like a caricature. You are to Mormonism what Aleks is to Euro crushers.    

Chris Duca · · Dixfield, ME · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 2,330

Second-hand cigarette smoke negatively affects those people around it.  It puts folks unwillingly at risk, and it is simply a disgusting odor. It is the responsibility of smokers to be considerate of their detrimental habit and to limit the amount of exposure it has in others.  I've put away my soapbox for the evening.  Goodnight. 

Kuntor · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 15

As an avid (recreational) tobacco smoker I still agree with Chris Duca - nobody likes a loud drunk at a restaurant (second hand drunking?) and seems to me copious second hand smoke is similarly irritating. That said, the onus is on Spencer to nut up and ask the offending party (nicely) to give him some space while he's going for gold. Civility runs both ways

Paul Deger · · Colorado · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 36

I have considered walking around with a cylinder of some foul odor and releasing it when some one is smoking too close. If they foul my error, I would like to return the favor.

If you want to smoke, please do so where you will not foul everyone else's air.

Maynard · · Lisbon, ct · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 1

Out of breathe on pentapitch? You couldn't outrun the smoke?

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252
Kuntor wrote:

As an avid (recreational) tobacco smoker I still agree with Chris Duca - nobody likes a loud drunk at a restaurant (second hand drunking?) and seems to me copious second hand smoke is similarly irritating. That said, the onus is on Spencer to nut up and ask the offending party (nicely) to give him some space while he's going for gold. Civility runs both ways

I think the whole point of this thread was that he did that and the guy kept on smoking anyways.

Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11
ViperScale wrote:

Difference is that would be illegal and you can get arrested for assault.

As much as I don't like music just like smoking if they want to do it they can do it I won't try to stop them.

So you only try to stop things that have a law banning them? 

Justin Brown · · Bend, OR · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 120
ViperScale wrote:

Why do people think their wishes are more important than others? That's all he is saying is me wanting to breath the mountain fresh air is more important than this other person wanting to smoke. You are in denial if you think that isn't what he is saying.

It's because smoking causes cancer and pulmonary distress.  Your argument is childish and weightless. 

Kuntor · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 15
Ted Pinson wrote:

I think the whole point of this thread was that he did that and the guy kept on smoking anyways.

A good point - missed that part. Dick move on the offenders part. Vices are two-fold - they fuck your health and are inconvenient. If it's obtrusive to others, the burden is on you to make accomidation within reason

Daniel Joder · · Barcelona, ES · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 0

"Mind if I smoke?"

"No. Mind if I fart?"

--Steve Martin

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

I promise to leave this thread alone, but just wanted to end by saying...  I'm sorry for sowing any discord or contention on the intardweb...again.  I think in our day and age we could all do with a lot more tolerance, love and forgiveness.  I'm sorry I got on here to spew my bad feelings.

I'm going to look for a support group that can help me overcome my problem with posting crap on the internet.

"Hi, my name is Spencer."

"Hi, Spencer!"

"It's been 4 weeks since my last posting."

Applause.

John Barritt · · The 405 · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 1,083
Spencer Parkin wrote:

What you may not realize is that I was out of breath and all I had to breath was poison air.  I could not escape to fresh air; I was on the sharp end.  Can I please let this desire be a little more important than your smoking habit, just for the moment?

Give me a break.

Ok, something is fishy. Was the smoking person on the route next to you? Were you 5' off the deck or what? Did you just smell some smoke and blow it out of proportion? I'm having trouble believing you could not get any fresh air, outdoors, on lead unless the smoker was next to you blowing it in your face. JB

Buddy Smith · · GA · Joined May 2017 · Points: 40

Tonight on MP, don't miss Viperscale and Ted Pinson in a Battle Royale the likes of which the forum has never seen! Accusations and insults will fly as these two MP champions battle for Best Poster! Don't miss it, BE THERE!

Buddy Smith · · GA · Joined May 2017 · Points: 40

I actually love both of these guys on most every post. Never seen them duke it out. Let's watch!

20 kN · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,346
Spencer Parkin wrote:

Yes, you have a right to smoke.

I am not sure that's really true. There is no law anywhere that says people have a legal right to smoke. There are minor stipulations here and there in the law regarding the location of designated smoking areas and the such, but easily the vast majority of smoking-related laws are in favor of the non-smokers, which makes a smoke-free atmosphere much more of a legal right than smoking.

Kevin Piarulli · · Redmond, OR · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 1,683
Spencer Parkin wrote:

all I had to breath was poison air.  I could not escape to fresh air; I was on the sharp end.

Did you send?

Ty Falk · · Huntington, VT · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 280

Hahaha honestly is this for real. Your gona make this thread then try to end it. 

I don't really see how on a multi pitch climb you had a constant smell of smoke. Once you get 30 ft off the deck your not going to be getting that much second hand smoke if any. In eight years of climbing outside I have never once smelled smoke of any kind once I was off the deck. I find it hard to believe that it actually affected you. 

Better or worse recreational drug use and alcohol have been part of the climbing scene for a long time. If you can't handle that please stay indoors at a gym where you can't eat, smoke or drink. Sounds like fun! 

djh860 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 110

The Op is a total crybaby

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Smoking at the crag"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started