Mountain Project Logo

Photo uploading

Original Post
Walter Galli · · Las vegas · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 2,247

What is wrong with the pictures uploading? Before I was able to post them easily now they have to be exactly 600'pixel X side? Someone can explaine how I can get the pics to be 600 x600 ? Thanks

Nick Wilder · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 4,098

It's at least that big on each side, not exactly. If your photos are smaller than that, you can't upload them. 

Ok thanks Nick. Is a job. I thought before was easier.

I spend 20 minutes trying to crop the pic to fit and I still not get it, this is crazy it make me don't want to upload pictures anymore, why you guys don't put it back like before, this is a nightmare.. Sh..

Nick Wilder wrote:

It's at least that big on each side, not exactly. If your photos are smaller than that, you can't upload them. 

My pictures are bigger so I have to crop them to exactly 600x 600 pixel otherwise want do it. Is impossible to get them fit especially when you have a bunch of pics to upload... On a iPad this thing is crazy it never happen before.

I actually check the size of my old pics that I post and they was 780 pixel X 900 or more so wasn't a problem before.

Abram Herman · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined May 2009 · Points: 20

I think Nick is saying they have to be LARGER than 600x600, so you shouldn't have to crop them down if they're bigger than that... That's the minimum size, not the maximum size.

They want upload I try, I used to upload 11000 pixel before, got it?

They are Panoramic pics, of course we areuploading mountains and routes, we have to be able to upload big size pics otherwise where is the point.

Abram Herman wrote:

I think Nick is saying they have to be LARGER than 600x600, so you shouldn't have to crop them down if they're bigger than that... That's the minimum size, not the maximum size.

Why don't you try and let me know if it easy..

Boissal . · · Small Lake, UT · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 1,541
Walter Galli wrote:

1000 x 497 pano... For some reason it resized down from 2000 x 973 on upload in the forum but it's posted in 2000 x 973 here (from 2 days ago). I imagine 1000 px is the standard max picture size on MP forums, seems to also the the standard display size (before clicking on the pic to access the larger version).

As far as I know 2000 px has been the largest dimension you've every been able to upload, anything bigger gets auto-resized to 2000 x whatever. The original for the pic below is over 9000 px in width.

Abram Herman · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined May 2009 · Points: 20
Walter Galli wrote:

Worked fine for me. Maybe it's the file type, what type of image file are you trying to upload?

Well I don't know why it does not for me.. Thank you guys, I give it one more try.

Nothing is not working for me ...

I'm still not be able to crop the pictures to fit in... Crazy shit... Heelp!

Jim Dover · · Idyllwild, CA · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 155

Just experimenting. That one uploaded with zero effort

Now my question is: how do I upload that picture to serpentine on the weeping wall ?

Jordan L · · Utah · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 76

Figured I'd bump this topic instead of making a new one. Also having issues with uploading a pic where the height >> width. The site seems to attempt an autocrop, but that autocrop smashes my height down to 1500 which pushes my width into less than 600 which is the minimum resolution for either dimension. When I try to fudge the resolutions during my export, to fit the confinement... the site autocrops again, forcing my width even further south.

Is there a page that details specifically how this site deals with photographs? How their auto crop is working and why it's triggering?

Nick Wilder · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 4,098

There is no page, but the photo must be at least 600px in each dimension.  For your image that is super tall (or wide), you'll need to crop it yourself a bit before uploading.

You're right that it's auto-scaling to 1500px max in either dimension, so to get exactly what you expect, an image should has an aspect ration of no more than 1500 / 600 or 600 / 1500.

Jordan L · · Utah · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 76

Thanks for the info, Nick! I'll mess with it a bit to make it work.

Granted, I'm sure it's a hell of a lot easier said than done, but has anyone here played with the idea of allowing on-site editing (cropping / rotation / scaling) similar to what imgur allows once you upload? I know your site already offers a type of annotation for bolts, which is great.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Help
Post a Reply to "Photo uploading"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started