Mountain Project Logo

Solutions / Problems with consensus grading

Original Post
Jef Anstey · · St. John's, NL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 140

any thoughts on adjusting the consensus grading system to allow more flexibility?

i see a couple problems:

1. the submitter is not the FA or route developer and instead are just another person with an opinion, yet this rating weights more in the calculation, could there be an option that asks whether you first established / developped the route and only weigh it more if yes is chosen?

2. submitters who have very little local experience / ratings. Ideally if someone comes from a sandbagged area to a vanity grade area, their idea of grades will be vastly different. If they grade it to their subjective grade, it distorts the consistency in the area. for example a person with 100 ratings in a local area, their opinion should be weighed heavier than someone with only 1 rating in that area, to ensure best consistency (maybe a log scale? 1 rating would be base default, 10 ratings would 2x weight the suggestion, 100 ratings would 4x weight)

only ratings in the local area would count toward their personal "weight" for that submitter (aka someone with only 50 local ratings would count more than someone with 1 local rating but 500 international grades)

3. force anyone who "ticks" to submit a route grade and star rating (currently its most likely that anyone who agrees with the consensus grade, is less likely to submit one, and thus the "non consensus grades" are more common and skew the distribution

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

It seems like 1) these are solutions in search of a problem, and 2) many of these will counteract each other.  For example, I think that your #3 would conflict with #2.  When traveling, I usually prefer NOT to suggest ratings for the climbs I do (for the reasons you listed), although unfortunately this is somewhat unavoidable now, as you are forced to rate the grade if you assign star ratings.  I usually just leave the consensus grade unless I've gotten enough of a sample of the local grading to make an informed opinion.

IMO a "vacation best practices" sticky would be fine.

Eric Carlos · · Soddy Daisy, TN · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 121

Why should local ratings weigh heavier?  If anything, someone who has only climbed in their local area is less qualified to rate something than someone who has climbed all over the world/country on multiple rock styles and types of climbs.

Sean Peter · · IL · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 105

I thought this title meant that your Solutions make you climb so much harder that you now have trouble grading routes properly in line with other people. 

That is true as well.  You really should have to subtract two letter grades/1 V grade from your send if done wearing Solutions.

Ross Ayer · · Southington, CT · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 62

Not meaning to be causing trouble, but the grades are not super objective in the first place.  They simply give an idea of the complexity of the beta required, but can be different due to height, flexibility, and style.  I understand your point, but I think that we all (myself included) need to pay less attention to the grades and try to just enjoy the great outdoors.  

That's a great attitude until you get sandbagged halfway up a multipitch route...

Eric Carlos wrote:

Why should local ratings weigh heavier?  If anything, someone who has only climbed in their local area is less qualified to rate something than someone who has climbed all over the world/country on multiple rock styles and types of climbs.

because consistency within an area ia a lot more important than trying to set some objective measure across every place?

if most ratings are of locals in the local area, (and say the area is sandbagged or vanity graded) then external ratings will be by virtue, on average, very different than local ratings, then skewing the otherwise consistent ratings

Aleks Zebastian · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 175

climbing friend,

Do you even flash?

Eric L · · Roseville, CA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 145

I'd rather we focus on improving the "formula" for grading routes so that people have an IDEA what contributes to a route's grade.  Types of holds, sustained climbing, steepness, height, runnout, type of rock, pro-placement options, etc. - and how the may combine to increase difficulty.  YES, I know this is "controversial/hotly debated" but it doesn't need to be a perfect guide, just enough to give people a baseline.  IMO, that would be more useful than trying to fairly weigh already arbitrary (but possibly experienced) opinions.

Politically Correct Ball · · From WA to AZ · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 5
Eric Carlos wrote:

This.

The reason there are weakly rated climbs is because of how few have climbed at Taquitz. There is definitely a soft middle in the nation (not to mention Canada) not only because so few have experienced the grades as they were, but because every time you climb new surfaces it feels hard. If you can't crack climb Indian Creek is sandbagged. If you don't like jugs Owens Gorge is sandbagged. If you climb in the gym everything is sandbagged. In reality, few places are legit sandbagged.

Ted Pinson wrote:

That's a great attitude until you get sandbagged halfway up a multipitch route...

Waaaa! I'm gonna SUE!

Sorry dude, but you aren't owed a route you can climb. If failure isn't an option, this isn't a sport.

What?

Tom Nyce · · Flagstaff, AZ · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 45
Jef Anstey wrote:

because consistency within an area ia a lot more important than trying to set some objective measure across every place?

if most ratings are of locals in the local area, (and say the area is sandbagged or vanity graded) then external ratings will be by virtue, on average, very different than local ratings, then skewing the otherwise consistent ratings

I strongly agree with this. Consistency within an area is very important. When people visit your local area, it seems hard to them because they aren't used to that particular rock (especially if it isn't granite limestone). They mainly do the popular/recommended climbs. If given the chance, they often would upgrade them. The less often done climbs still have the old ratings and become sandbags (relative to the others). Thus,  you've created inconsistency within the area.

Tom Nyce wrote:

I strongly agree with this. Consistency within an area is very important. When people visit your local area, it seems hard to them because they aren't used to that particular rock (especially if it isn't granite limestone). They mainly do the popular/recommended climbs. If given the chance, they often would upgrade them. The less often done climbs still have the old ratings and become sandbags (relative to the others). Thus,  you've created inconsistency within the area.

Then why not upgrade the weakly rated routes to the decimal system standard: taquitz?

Pavel Burov · · Russia · Joined May 2013 · Points: 50

If you like the line just give it a try. Who cares about ratings?

Healyje · · PDX · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 422

In fact, if you don't have a complete "we're-in-way-over-our-heads-and-we-gotta-bail-now" epic on occasion then you're doing it wrong...

Healyje wrote:

In fact, if you don't have a complete "we're-in-way-over-our-heads-and-we-gotta-bail-now" epic on occasion then you're doing it wrong...

How about fuck wasting time? Energy? Safety? 

How about the fact that people have different destes and goals for climbing than you?

How about you just completely change your perspective and ONLY use guidebooks? That's what you sound like...

using and have accurate guides is not exclusive to "adventuring" and finding your own climbs or just going for it...

to me all rock climbs "look fun" unfortunately I have limited time, so I use a guidebook to prioritize and plan my time

Yep I'm every bit as acceptable as a climber as you. I'm doing exactly what I want and getting exactly where I hoped. 

I'm just also interested in improving those methods

Jef Anstey wrote:

How about fuck wasting time? Energy? Safety? 

What about them? I couldn't give a rat's ass about "safety" and I've never jumped on anything I thought was a waste of time no matter how it turned out. In fact, some of the epics are actually some of my best climbing experiences and pushed me the hardest. And you're worried about "energy"? Is that like precious male essence?

Jef Anstey wrote:

using and have accurate guides is not exclusive to "adventuring" and finding your own climbs or just going for it...

No, just kind of the antithesis of it...

Halbert · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 582
Healyje wrote:

What about them? I couldn't give a rat's ass about "safety" and I've never jumped on anything I thought was a waste of time no matter how it turned out. In fact, some of the epics are actually some of my best climbing experiences and pushed me the hardest. And you're worried about "energy"? Is that like precious male essence?

No, just kind of the antithesis of it...

okidoki dude. Don't come climbing in the European alps with that attitude.

Halbert wrote:

okidoki dude. Don't come climbing in the European alps with that attitude.

There's no place I've been where that attitude wasn't the right attitude to take. In fact, it's actually the only attitude to take if you're trying to put up at least one FA everywhere you go...

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Discuss MountainProject.com
Post a Reply to "Solutions / Problems with consensus grading"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.