Mountain Project Logo

Lovers Leap Slack Line

Original Post
Grumpy Gym Climber · · Sacramento · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 10

What was up with the slack line today at Lovers Leap, between East Wall and Hogsback? It didn't seem to be well installed to begin with, but by the afternoon it was flapping around in the wind and was incredibly loud, like 747 taking off loud. Made afternoon climbing very unpleasant.

chris blatchley · · woodinville, wa · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 6

Username checks out!

climberish · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 10

And climbers/chalk lines/yelling can be eye/ear sores for hikers... Climbers arent the only user groups of the outdoors.... 

ze dirtbag · · Tahoe · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 50

Those damn Tahoe people.....thinking they can just disturb tourists with their loud slacklines.   Did you talk to them or just shake your fist and cuss them from afar?

mediocre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 0
climberish wrote:

And climbers/chalk lines/yelling can be eye/ear sores for hikers... Climbers arent the only user groups of the outdoors.... 

Wouldn't this be annoying for hikers too?

Lou Cerutti · · Carlsbad, California · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 209

Chop that ish! 

Trevor Vichas · · South Lake Tahoe, CA · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 789
Lou Cerutti wrote:

Chop that ish! 

great ethics dude...  I find it super annoying that I have to pick up trash on the trails, bases of routes and see used TP left on the ground, but I do not start a thread that is useless.  Gym climbers do not always have the best ethics, but we do not harp on them around here...  

Awww, did a few people have a ruff day because of a little noise?  So sad for you said no one that lives locally by the leap.  This was a HUGE slackline, one of the longest line in the US to be sent and had full support from the people that live in the neighborhood and Tahoe area.     

simplyput . · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 60

I personally have no love for the slacking (prolly cos I suck at it) but if the locals are in support, y'all gapers need to hush.

Lou Cerutti · · Carlsbad, California · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 209

Just trying to get a laugh, yo. I don't give a shit about slacklining nor do I find it impressive. I'd never waste energy complaining about it either. 

J. Albers · · Colorado · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 1,926
simplyput wrote:

I personally have no love for the slacking (prolly cos I suck at it) but if the locals are in support, y'all gapers need to hush.

Pfft whatever. The "locals" don't own the Leap nor do they get to decide what is okay, so "y'all gapers" have every right to continue to express their opinions. 

My opinion having spent a fair amount of time at the Leap? Personally I find slacklining and slackliners to be hopelessly annoying people, but I don't have a good enough reason to ban them that couldn't also be applied to climbers in general. So I will just continue shooting derisive glares in their collective direction like my partners and I always do. 

So basically, you're gonna hush until you're on the internet.

simplyput wrote:

So basically, you're gonna hush until you're on the internet.

Ha ha. Nope. I have no problem expressing my distaste for things in person, but good effort with that attempt at a dig ;)

'So I will just continue shooting derisive glares in their collective direction like my partners and I always do.'

Your words. Typed. On the internet.

The sound of silence.

simplyput wrote:

'So I will just continue shooting derisive glares in their collective direction like my partners and I always do.'

Your words. Typed. On the internet.

The sound of silence.

Shooting derisive glares and talking to someone in person are not mutually exclusive activities. For e.g., some tool bags set up a high line in Dream Canyon outside of Boulder a couple weeks ago. My partner and I both nodded that it was annoying, but never came into contact with said folks, so no exchange was had. If I had come across them though, its quite possible I would have said something. See how that works champ? 

Robert Abbott · · south lake tahoe · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 111

I hate it when people do historic things in beautiful places with the support from the locals, it just really grinds my gears. 

Fehim Hasecic · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 215
Rabbott wrote:

I hate it when people do historic things in beautiful places with the support from the locals, it just really grinds my gears. 

What's historic about it, please do tell?

Skibummin11 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0
Grumpy Gym Climber wrote:

It didn't seem to be well installed to begin with, but by the afternoon it was flapping around in the wind and was incredibly loud, like 747 taking off loud. 

What led you to believe this? And yeah thats what they sound like on windy days. 

ckersch · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 161
J. Albers wrote:

Shooting derisive glares and talking to someone in person are not mutually exclusive activities. For e.g., some tool bags set up a high line in Dream Canyon outside of Boulder a couple weeks ago. My partner and I both nodded that it was annoying, but never came into contact with said folks, so no exchange was had. If I had come across them though, its quite possible I would have said something. See how that works champ? 

"I totally confront people about shit like this in real life. I mean, not actually, but that's, like, because it wasn't the right situation to confront them. If things were different, though, I totally would. Probably." -J. Albers

Cameron Saul · · San Francisco · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 10

Wow.  Surprising toxicity here.  IMO do your thing until it becomes an unreasonable shit show.

A friend was up last weekend and sent me a vid of this thing flapping around - taken from the top of Travelers - thing was super loud.  Anyone know when it's coming down?  I wouldn't want to climb while that thing is howling.  

ckersch wrote:

"I totally confront people about shit like this in real life. I mean, not actually, but that's, like, because it wasn't the right situation to confront them. If things were different, though, I totally would. Probably." -J. Albers

What part of  "quite possible" was confusing to you? I have confronted folks in the past (not just about stupid ass slacklines), so you're speaking out of your arse. In fact, here is a little tidbit that was sent to me (anonymously I might add) via a MP user IM (username: essay) where the person was clearly upset that I asked them to turn their shitty techno crap music down at a crag. 

Dude, you have rolled up to me at crags that have I helped to bolt and develop and ordered me to turn off the music, not once, but twice. Next time you come to a crag that I have helped develop and tell me how to act I am gonna flip out. Your shit about dogs pisses me off as well, you don't have to visit my state and when you do behave yourself and act like the guest you are. We don't need assholes visiting who wish to impose their fucking ways on us. It is normal in NM to listen to music and have dogs at the crag, if you have a problems with that, stay the fuck out of NM. This is not Wisconsin and I really don't give a fuck about how you feel about these issues. When I show up at one of your local crags that you helped to develop you may say what ever you want to me and tell me how to act, it's your right, it's your crag, it's your ethics. Do not show up in my state again and order me around. I live here becaue we don't have to put up with that shit. Otherwise, I am sure we can share a crag in peace, but it is not your crag and you have no rights to order me around at it.

Not that it matters, but I might add that the above person is actually an internet poser because (a) they didn't bother discussing it with me at the crag when I politely asked them to turn their music down, (b) they are not a developer of said crag, so they are liars, (c) I did live in NM for a longtime, so I was a local that did do crag maintenance, and (d) I am a dog owner, so I'm not sure what that is all about. 

Proof enough for you that I am just as capable of being a jackass in person as I am on the internet? Yup, jackass on and off the interwebs. Carry on though.

Cameron Saul wrote:

Wow.  Surprising toxicity here.  IMO do your thing until it becomes an unreasonable shit show.

Exactly. The difference for me between climbers doing their thing and slackliners like the one at the Leap is that unless I am carrying a boombox Bachar style, then I don't really bother anyone while climbing. A slackline like the one described is a noisy nuisance and an eyesore. Is my standard subjective? Somewhat. But what is shown in that photo qualifies as shitshow while quietly running up Corrugation Corner is not. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "Lovers Leap Slack Line"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started