Mountain Project Logo

REVO - advanced belay/solo device coming soon

Original Post
IcePick · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 100
Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 1,739

It's not available yet, so I doubt it. IIRC they were originally looking to release it this year, but the production date has been pushed back.

Kevin Mokracek · · Burbank · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 342

It does look like the perfect aid or lead solo device if it comes through on it's claims.   I use a Silent Partner and this seems like it would be head and shoulders above the SP.

Squeak · · Perth West OZ · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 21
Andrew Krajnik wrote:

It's not available yet, so I doubt it. IIRC they were originally looking to release it this year, but the production date has been pushed back.

Winner of the most annoying marketing "Baiting" for 2016/17

eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525

If the Revo lives up to what it sounds like, BD is gonna be really pissed they didn't design it first. Back in 2015 they had a patent out for a belay device using the same concept

The centrifugal clutch originated from the auto industries needs and also used in war efforts and is utilized in many many applications worldwide.  A centrifugal clutch is a clutch that uses centrifugal force to connect two concentric shafts, with the driving shaft nested inside the driven shaft. It engages more at higher speeds.

there are many different designs but essentially is the same function, locking components together.

An engineering marvel dating back to the early 1900's.

Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 1,739
Dean Wright wrote:

The centrifugal clutch originated from the auto industries needs and also used in war efforts and is utilized in many many applications worldwide.  A centrifugal clutch is a clutch that uses centrifugal force to connect two concentric shafts, with the driving shaft nested inside the driven shaft. It engages more at higher speeds.

there are many different designs but essentially is the same function, locking components together.

An engineering marvel dating back to the early 1900's.

Well, yes, but this is a new, and novel, and therefore patentable, application for it. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on one. Belays like an ACT, can be threaded in either direction, and provides assisted braking. If it functions as advertised, it should be pretty sweet.

Mark Hudon · · Lives on the road · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 420

Given that the Silent Partner is no longer being produced, this thing will be the best device on the market for aid soloing. 

http://climbersdirect.com/product/wild-country-revo/

According to this site it will be available Winter 2017, Final certification and a new supplier, full statement from Wild Country inside.

Healyje · · PDX · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 422

I'd certainly give it a look once it's available in the stores...

PW Zenpw · · Židlochovice · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 10

I just hope this won't be the same as with Trango Vergo fiasco.

Daniel McCormick · · San Jose, CA · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 45
PW Zenpw wrote:

I just hope this won't be the same as with Trango Vergo fiasco.

What fiasco? Do you mean the recall and free replacement? And zero incidents?

Khoi · · Vancouver, BC · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 45
Daniel McCormick wrote:

What fiasco? Do you mean the recall and free replacement? And zero incidents?

Recall --> free replacement --> recall of said free replacement

Nathan · · Tel Aviv · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 107
eli poss wrote:

If the Revo lives up to what it sounds like, BD is gonna be really pissed they didn't design it first. Back in 2015 they had a patent out for a belay device using the same concept

Got any details?

Daniel McCormick · · San Jose, CA · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 45
Khoi wrote:

Wait, when did they recall the recall?

eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525
Kevin DeWeese · · @failfalling - Oakland, Ca · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 981
Khoi wrote:

Should be Recall --> wait three months with no compensation  --> "free" replacement --> recall said "free" replacement --> who knows how many months with no compensation. 

builttospill · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 0

One question for me is: how fast would I have to be falling before it would catch me automatically (i.e. assume my belayer were asleep)?  Would it catch a sliding/running fall down a slab, or a bouncing fall down broken terrain?  

kevin deweese wrote:

Should be Recall --> wait three months with no compensation  --> "free" replacement --> recall said "free" replacement --> who knows how many months with no compensation. 

Yeah, but I didn't want to kick a company when they are already down.

These back to back recalls can't be good for Trango's bottom line.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "REVO - advanced belay/solo device coming soon"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started