Mountain Project Logo

Climbing with People with Developmental Disabilities

Original Post
F r i t z · · North Mitten · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 995

My older brother Carl is an utterly righteous dude. He also happens to have Down Syndrome. A little while ago, I had the privilege of belaying him on his first outdoor rock climb at Hartman Rocks in Gunnison, CO.

He works at a YMCA in Indiana. He climbs plastic there occasionally, but much prefers to lift weights and swim laps. I set up a toprope on a 5.6 at Teenage Wasteland and let him have at it. Carl has a few extra pounds on him, so it was a challenge, but after thirty minutes of pulling hard, my bro slapped the chains. He had a great time and said he wasn't scared at all. When we asked him what he wanted to do to celebrate his accomplishment, he replied "Taco Bell!"

I was inspired and thought I'd share the stoke. Anyone else take people with developmental disabilities climbing? I really like what Paradox does and am planning to volunteer for them in Ouray this winter. 

Carl is a goofball. Every day of the year is Halloween for him -- Samson is his favorite character. His classic move is that anytime he sees a pillar, he pushes against it and bellows "Let me die with the Philistines!"

mikejohnson1 Johnson · · Essex Junction, VT · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 345

Carl is a goofball. Every day of the year is Halloween for him -- Samson is his favorite character. His classic move is that anytime he sees a pillar, he pushes against it and bellows "Let me die with the Philistines!"

This brought a smile to my face. What a cool story!

pforien · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 5

Really cool! Thanks for sharing

Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 1,739

Outstanding! My youngest brother has autism, but is nowhere near as active as he used to be. He's in his late 20's now. When he was in his teens, he'd spend every possible moment on his bike. Alas, he doesn't really show much interest in being active any more, and he's not communicative enough to be able to harness him up and let him try climbing. It's truly unfortunate, because I think the sensory stimulus would be great for him.

Andrew Krajnik wrote:

Outstanding! My youngest brother has autism, but is nowhere near as active as he used to be. He's in his late 20's now. When he was in his teens, he'd spend every possible moment on his bike. Alas, he doesn't really show much interest in being active any more, and he's not communicative enough to be able to harness him up and let him try climbing. It's truly unfortunate, because I think the sensory stimulus would be great for him.

I used to be a personal caregiver for people with disabilities, including many people diagnosed with autism. What if you were to run a second toprope and climb next to him? Maybe gym bouldering to get the idea for upward movement?

Abram Herman · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined May 2009 · Points: 20

Awesome, your brother looks STOKED!

I used to volunteer with NSCD a lot (National Sports Center for the Disabled) but they were really flaky and I stopped volunteering with them after I had to constantly pester them to be notified of volunteer opportunities. I'm not sure if they switched to just staff-run events or what, but I really enjoyed working with those groups; it was for people with both physicial and developmental disabilities.

I currently volunteer with Climbing For Life which is an awesome program, but we don't really get groups with developmental and physical disabilities like NSCD. We do get a lot of at-risk youth though, and it's a great organization to volunteer with if anyone is interested in doing something like this.

I'm also on the advisory board for Autism Climbs, which is another great organization geared specifically towards getting kids with autism out climbing; climbing has so many mental, emotional, social and physical benefits to help kids with autism overcome some of the struggles they deal with. We have an event coming up on 8/20 at ABC Kids Climbing in Boulder, if anyone is interested in bringing kids with autism and their families, and if you want to volunteer we can always use more one on one attention with the kids! The Daily Camera did a nice story on one of our previous events, if you want an idea of what it's like: http://www.dailycamera.com/ci_30806918/autism-climbs-introduces-kids-spectrum-joy-climbing

Will Haden · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 90

This is awesome! 

Kat Hessen wrote:

Thanks for making climbing accessible to more diverse groups of people! 

Thanks, Kat. I wouldn't be half the person I am today had I not grown up with Carl as my older brother. I hope everyone has the opportunity to spend some time with people who are differently abled and get a glimpse of how they see the world. 

After Carl was born, the doctor walked up to my mom as she was holding him and asked if she wanted the hospital to feed him or not. She's a meek and mild pastor's wife, but she told that doctor to go fuck himself. She felt horrible afterward, but I'm glad she said it that way. One of my favorite stories of my mom ;-)

Dr Worm · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 115
Fritz N. wrote:

she told that doctor to go fuck himself. 

Yes! Your mom is my hero.

I used to work at a camp in Montana where the first week with campers was what we called DD camp (developmentally disabled adults). The camp was a pretty inaccessible and rustic place, but for many of the campers who lived in group homes, it was the highlight of their year. And some of them had been coming for over 30 years. It was one of the highlights of my life to be part of that. I learned a lot from people who had different experiences of daily life than me and had faced significant adversity. We didn't do any climbing but there was hiking. I think your brother would fit right in there. http://christikon.org/

Alicia Sokolowski · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 1,781

This thread makes me so happy! You, your brother and your mom make a great team. You restored my faith in humanity! 

Todd Bruns · · Golden , Colorado · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 0

Awesome dude. We need more people like you in this world. 

RKM · · Alpine, Utah and Almo, ID · Joined Mar 2007 · Points: 2,233

I have to join in and say that my little buddy and 25 year old son goes everywhere with me.  He has the shoes, harness and chalk bag and even though rarely gets to high off the ground - considers it full-on climbing.  He is low functioning as far as the broad spectrum of Downs (I'm pretty low functioning myself), but all the more endearing to be around.  Most people that spend much time at City of Rocks or Castle Rocks have met him and been touched by him.  

Joseph Henry Miller, but we call him 'Pete'

RKM wrote:

I have to join in and say that my little buddy and 25 year old son goes everywhere with me. 

Superb. Thanks for sharing! :-) 

Russ Keane · · Salt Lake · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 392

We are so lucky to have our full capabilities.  Good to remember.

Bob M · · Alpharetta, GA · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 50

Great thread!  My daughter has a number of challenges, but goes on most of our climbing trips.  Here we are on the parking lot ledge at Looking Glass, NC.  I think that was her first big multi-pitch climb.  

And she never lets me forget to stop at Dolly's for ice cream on the way out of the forest, after a day of climbing.  

eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525

No experience climbing with people with Down Syndrome or Autism but some working with them in school. I was a trouble maker in middle school so they shipped me off to the CDC room where I would teach math and reading to middle schoolers and high schoolers with varying severity of Down Syndrome and kids all across the Autism spectrum. I really enjoyed it and had somewhat of a knack for it too.

Those kids had the kindest hearts out of any people I've ever come across in my life. They had no dislike or hate in their hearts for anybody or anything and it was quite inspiring to be around them, especially in contrast to your typical middle school kid.

Andrew Reed · · CaƱon City, CO · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 56

My local gym CityRock has a climbing team designed for children with mental and physical disabilities.  I volunteer with them and give out belays and motivation to kids as we work with them one on one.  Some of these kids can top rope 5.10- no problem! Really cool to see them get psyched and apply their focus to such a healthy and rewarding activity! 

I decided to bump this thread to give us all a dose of positivity.

Carl now lives in Traverse City, MI and there's a climbing gym two blocks from his house.

Several of you gave him some climbing gear for his birthday a while ago -- you can see him using it here.

Post up more stories of climbing with people with disabilities!

Hal B · · CO · Joined Aug 2021 · Points: 0

I am autistic (low support needs) and have ADHD, along with a couple other comorbid disorders. Climbing is the one thing I can do to have my brain completely shut up and just be in the present moment. It's been hugely beneficial to my mental health. It doesn't hurt that climbing development is almost endless, so as a special interest it stays, well, interesting.

RKM · · Alpine, Utah and Almo, ID · Joined Mar 2007 · Points: 2,233

So happy to see this thread again, thanks Fritz for the update.  Great to see my man Carl!  Joe (Joseph Henry) is 31 years old.  He enjoys a life of thumbs up and pure bliss.  By far and away, the best thing that ever happened to me and 100% of my focus.  It’s hard to be mad around someone who’s always happy.

Hanging in Idaho

Cruising in Iceland

Zip-lining in Alaska

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374

RKM, bummed that I still have not met your guy! Only the other one, who (I think) was pretty pleased that I said nice to meet him, but, I really was looking forward to his brother, lol!

And yay, Carl! Carl is super fun!

All, West coast, check out Courageous Kids Climbing. Based in Idaho, but they seem to travel pretty extensively. Their mission is to facilitate gym climbing events for "kids with special needs up to age 99". Typically, they are the only occupants of the gym, with us locals as volunteers to help. Fire department is in on this also. CKC brings specialized equipment, from body harnesses for tiny kids, to a hoist that can haul up someone in a wheelchair. Chair and all. That last rig is usually operated by the firefighters, which is an additional highlight. Fire truck to tour, too. It works with a BIG mix of abilities, very much in a how can we make this happen way, involves an abundance of caring people, and lots and lots of smiles all around! Great outfit to volunteer with, too! My little guy I was paired with was not yet even 3, yet he could read everything in the place, was opinionated about the colors he wanted to climb, was quite gung ho, and required 3 of us to keep up with him! Maybe 4 of us? I climbed beside him, so that's 2 belayers, at the least. He was so light I kinda had to tow him down!

Best, Helen

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Climbing with People with Developmental Disabil…"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.