Mountain Project Logo

#4 On the Diamond

Original Post
Forest Altherr · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 251

Hey if you're the dude who lent me the #4 on Broadway I'd like to get it back to you. Send me a PM with your full name and address. Thanks a ton!

Greg D · · Here · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 883

Well, give us some deets.  How did you make it to Broadway without a 4, then realize you need it?  And how did you run into someone that had one up there and didn't need it.  We love stories.  Sounds like some good mojo either way. 

Jason Antin · · Golden, CO · Joined May 2009 · Points: 1,375
Greg D wrote:

Well, give us some deets.  How did you make it to Broadway without a 4, then realize you need it?  And how did you run into someone that had one up there and didn't need it.  We love stories.  Sounds like some good mojo either way. 

I'm guessing they were convinced to take a *second* #4 for the crux on Pervertical ??

Guy H. · · Fort Collins CO · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 8,318

Check out the comment section on Casual Route...

This was legitimately one of the most incredible acts of kindness I've experienced in the climbing community. 

So here's the story... My partner and I thought that since the weather had been hammering the Park for a few days nothing on the Diamond would be dry, so at the last minute we shifted our objective from D7 to the Casual Route. We erroneously thought that no one else would be psyched on climbing wet cracks and we would have the route mostly to ourselves. Unfortunately, upon reaching Broadway we were the fourth party in line. We had decided to cut the #4 due to our assumption of solitude. With a narrow weather window that day, we realized that we would have to bail unless we could hop on another route. I flippantly asked one of the guys who was just starting up to follow his partner if we could borrow a cam to hop on Pervertical, and surprisingly without hesitation he said, "Yes." I was so stoked that I forgot to ask for his phone number to contact him when we got down, and we raced over to Pervertical Sanctuary to start up. It was a pretty trusting moment to lend someone your gear with the expectation that the person you've known for only a few seconds would find and return it.

Thankfully, I am glad to report that through the power of social media I found the gentleman who lent me the piece, and the cam is now on its way back to Colorado.

Optimistic · · New Paltz · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 450
Forest Altherr wrote:

This was legitimately one of the most incredible acts of kindness I've experienced in the climbing community. 

So here's the story... My partner and I thought that since the weather had been hammering the Park for a few days nothing on the Diamond would be dry, so at the last minute we shifted our objective from D7 to the Casual Route. We erroneously thought that no one else would be psyched on climbing wet cracks and we would have the route mostly to ourselves. Unfortunately, upon reaching Broadway we were the fourth party in line. We had decided to cut the #4 due to our assumption of solitude. With a narrow weather window that day, we realized that we would have to bail unless we could hop on another route. I flippantly asked one of the guys who was just starting up to follow his partner if we could borrow a cam to hop on Pervertical, and surprisingly without hesitation he said, "Yes." I was so stoked that I forgot to ask for his phone number to contact him when we got down, and we raced over to Pervertical Sanctuary to start up. It was a pretty trusting moment to lend someone your gear with the expectation that the person you've known for only a few seconds would find and return it.

Thankfully, I am glad to report that through the power of social media I found the gentleman who lent me the piece, and the cam is now on its way back to Colorado.

Really good to see people taking care of each other!

TheBirdman Friedman · · Eldorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 65
Forest Altherr wrote:

That is rad. I'm pretty sure it warrants return of the 4 and a six pack. We're all friends in the alpine...unless you're the slower party in front me or the faster party behind me (kidding, not looking to start a total thread drift). 

Aaron Glasenapp · · Denver, CO · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 2,525

I've experienced similar kindness from strangers. We went up to climb Unimpeachable Groping at Rock Rock Canyon, and, also being 4th in line, the party in front of us suggested we climb Power Failure just to the left if we don't want to wait in line. We had only brought a couple of cams and nuts (UG is mostly mostly bolted), and without us even asking, the guy offered to loan us his entire rack. We climbed Power Failure, had a blast, and left the rack on his pack at the base of UG. 

Thumbs up for awesome people!

Mike McNeil · · Spearfish, South Dakota · Joined Feb 2007 · Points: 1,555

One time I forgot my harness in the winds and a guy lent me his as he was on the way out.  I sent it back to him after the trip.  

garrett K · · salt lake city · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 148

I met a group of young kids about to start climb up the north chimney of castleton this past spring. They told me their leader wasnt that experienced and they were kinda nervous. I then learned they had just a little over a single rack and no large piece for the offwidth section of the climb so I lent one of them my #5. I did trade one of their wallets for my 5 which they were more than happy about. Unfortunately they couldn't get through the off width section but I still don't know how they bailed bc they got my #5 back to me. 

Climbers are pretty trusting and nice in my experience. 

I'm pretty stoked that this post turned into, "Good things that climbers do to look out for one another" discussion. It's one reason I'm always so pumped to be a part ofthis community. Keep paying it forward out there! 

mike again · · Ouray · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 47

Not as dramatic, but I realized on arrival at Lover's Leap that I forgot to pack wife's belay device. One of the women packing up to leave the campsite we arrived at unhesitatingly handed me hers. Mailed it back a couple days later.  

Alex Temus · · Lehi, UT · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 362

Ever find the guy?

If you know what route he was heading up and which day - there's a chance that he ticked the route on here and you might recognize his name there?
Otherwise, you'll always have a good story with that piece!

Alan Coon · · Longmont, CO · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 350

If ever this dude responds I’m sending him beer just for that rad act of kindness. More people like that in our world and imagine what it would be like. 

Matt Pierce · · Poncha Springs, CO · Joined May 2010 · Points: 312

RAD story! 

Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480

Great to hear positive experiences!

Two winters ago we went to run laps on Dracula. We pull in the Frankenstein parking lot on a weekend so we’re doing the typical anxious walking in circles waiting for my buddy to repack his pack. The whole we’re making fun of him so he forgets his belay jacket and his gloves. Extra gloves were easy. There were 3 of us so I’m sure why but the party of 2 next to us lends their belay jacket to my buddy and shares hot tea. For half the day we shared the ice and played musical belay jackets.

Eliot Augusto · · Lafayette, CO · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 60
Alex Temus wrote:

Ever find the guy?

If you know what route he was heading up and which day - there's a chance that he ticked the route on here and you might recognize his name there?
Otherwise, you'll always have a good story with that piece!

In his second post he mentioned he found the good Samaritan. 

Trad Princess · · Not That Into Climbing · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 1,175

I don't like this thread, because I don't want to like climbers and this helps prevent me from doing that.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "#4 On the Diamond"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started