Mountain Project Logo

Road tripping to Colorado

Original Post
Nate Fye · · punxsutawney pa · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 10

Hi all, I am taking my 12 y/o daughter on her first truck camping road trip next week and thought this would be a good place to get some suggestions as to where to go for some easy climbing and day hiking as well as places we can just park the truck and camp in the bed. The plan is to get to Denver area next thursday/Friday then just spend a week traveling wherever ... open to all suggestions. Thanks!

Rob Dillon · · Tamarisk Clearing · Joined Mar 2002 · Points: 760

Hard to go wrong with Elevenmile SP: nice creek, easy routes and easy access, camping. You won't have it to yourself, and the sun will be hot, but it's real pleasant.

Nice!, thanks Rob I'll definitely check that out, we probably won't spend more than one night in any certain location so if ya got any other suggestions send em my way. Thanks! 

Patrick Pharo · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2003 · Points: 30

I'd direct you to the Poudre Canyon outside of Ft. Collins.  

Garth Sundem · · Louisville, CO · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 20

There's an odd little area I've been to with my kids a couple times called Lily Mountain (https://www.mountainproject.com/v/lily-mountain/107202236). Routes are fairly mellow, toprope-able, and nothing taller than 50 feet. All told, it's probably not destined to be the next Rifle. But it's perfect for kids and combining it with a hike to the top of Lily Mountain makes a great day -- spectacular views into the park. There are many places to camp and hike along the Peak-to-Peak highway or near Estes.

Cor · · Sandbagging since 1989 · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 1,445

Vedauwoo.

Perfect suggestions!! Thanks so much, s.price we'll definitely message you if we make it up that way ( very strong possibility that we will )!!!

Greg D · · Here · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 883

There is so much amazing stuff to do and places to see. So really hard to say. But, if it were me, I would spend a day or so in Estes Park Rocky Mount national Park Lily Lake etc. this is one of the most beautiful parts of the state.   Then head over to Frisco and get on lake Dillon for a few hours and camp on the lake and maybe climb Royal flush.  Then, head over to twin Lakes and again camp on the lake and possibly climb at monitor Rock. Then, you can head on down the road to Buena vista for more camping on the river and maybe some white water rafting and or some climbing.  Then you could head to Pagosa Springs. But that's probably three or four more hours of driving. I know nothing about it. But that may be good to do on the weekend, whereas, the other locations should be done during the week to avoid crowds.  On the way back, you could hit Elevenmile Canyon.  This would give you some great scenic drives and some stops in some awesome places. Personally I would stay at least two days in each location, otherwise you're going to be on the road a lot.   I 70 is totally fine as long as you avoid it between Denver and Silverthorne going west Friday afternoons evenings and Saturday mornings and Sunday afternoons evenings going east. Have fun.

physnchips · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 0

If you really want the most beautiful part of the state go to Crested Butte (long drive no matter how you cut it). There's some hard bouldering if you really want to climb, but you should try your hand at mountain biking. 

All great suggestions!  Thanks a lot, I'm gonna get on the computer and show my daughter and girlfriend all these places and let them decide where they want to go/do and see. Thanks for all the suggestions!!!

Parker Wrozek · · Denver, CO · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 86

Lime Creek could be a cool spot as well if you end up in that direction. 

Ok so, looks like we will be in Estes park tomorrow afternoon. Amy suggestions for some easier toprope climbing and or hiking and a place we can truck camp in the area ?

fuck you · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0
Nate Fye wrote:

Ok so, looks like we will be in Estes park tomorrow afternoon. Amy suggestions for some easier toprope climbing and or hiking and a place we can truck camp in the area ?

there are some awesome beginner routes in performance park (walkable from downtown ep)....very accessible to new sport leaders!  i have not tr'd there and my climbing partner said there are signs asking climbers to not tr....but if you have draws, the amphitheater wall is super easy and fun climbing....and you can walk to ice cream afterwards :)   there are tons of easy hikes in the park, deer mountain is great because it is very accessible and great views from the top.  maybe a couple hours round trip, easy trail for kids!!

Thanks Faye! I think tomorrow  will be between there and Lilly Mt.  I have lead sport up to 5.7 back in Pa.  So performance park sounds like a great spot for us to check out! Any idea how busy it may be on a Wednesday...?

Also my draws got left behind with a friend in Pa so if anybody has some there looking to part with and gonna be in the area tomorrow... I would rather purchase some used ones and save a few dollars. If not I'm sure there's a gear shop in town 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Road tripping to Colorado "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started