Mountain Project Logo

packable multipitch backpacks?

Original Post
Sean Maher · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined May 2014 · Points: 1,255

I love everything about the Montbell versalite pack, except that it is about as durable as a plastic grocery bag. It climbs well and it's just the right size for two people's stuff on a long climb, so the leader can go pack-free. Best of all, it packs down to the size and weight of an orange so you can chuck it into a larger bag for the approach. On the other hand, I put new holes in it on every climb such that now it's pretty much held together with tape. And no, i wasn't thrutching up chimneys with it either! I would happily accept a few extra ounces of material in return for some durability.

Anyone have any climbing bag recommendations? Key features are: packable, climbs well, durable, has an ice axe loop.

Jon Rhoderick · · Redmond, OR · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 966
Jay Eggleston · · Denver · Joined Feb 2003 · Points: 21,381

I have a Cilo Gear 20l too.  It's great but, he asked about an ice axe loop.  It doesn't have one.

Cilo gear has a great reputation, too bad I haven't been able to look at them in stores. Might be able to sort out a janky ice axe loop with some cord?

RangerJ · · Denver, CO · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 65
FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

I'm glad someone finally asked this.

Andrew Steavpack · · Castle Pines, CO · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 105

Take a look at MHM Signal 18 or Slay 24 both have ice tool attachment and have a pretty innovative zipper design. I've climbed with their Switch 26 and it's a bit big but definitely super durable material. They've got a store on Tennyson if you're in the Denver area

https://www.mhmgear.com

TCC · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2016 · Points: 50

I haven't seen it in person, but the Mammut Neon Speed looks like it might meet your criteria.  Smaller than your Versalite but has the expanding helmet/stow pocket.  Someone who has one might be able to comment on durability and how it climbs.

https://www.mammut.ch/INT/en/B2C-Kategorie/Men/Equipment-Men/Backpacks-and-Bags-Men/Neon-Speed/p/2510-03180-0001-1015

jaredj · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 165

Prior generation REI Flash 18 packs have two rows of daisy chains, one side with an ice axe loop.   Can be had on eBay for $20 / each.  More durable than your Montbell, but less so than the Cilogear.  

Josh Kornish · · Whitefish, MT · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 800

I make a very packable multipitch back pack. I'm using a fabric called X-Pac that is light and durable.  I'd say it approaches and climbs well.  Happy to add daisies with tool loops.  

Shoot me a PM if you want to talk gear!

Josh

TUFA

Jon Rhoderick · · Redmond, OR · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 966

^^ Get that one ^^

Jon H · · PC, UT · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 118
Kyle vH · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 16

Wow Tufa looks nice. Replying here to remind myself to shop there in the future. I have a dynema roll top from another company (Hyperlite Mountain Gear) and they are nice because they're waterproof which works well for a river trip, canyoneering and backcountry skiing.

Sean H · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Dec 2008 · Points: 120

Marmot Kompressor or Kompressor Plus.

Weigh almost nothing, and there is a small foam back panel that's easily removed to make this even more so the case.

https://marmot.com/equipment-packs-and-haulers-day-packs/kompressor/24920.html

https://marmot.com/equipment-packs-and-haulers-day-packs/kompressor-plus/24940.html

Sean H wrote:

Marmot Kompressor or Kompressor Plus.

Weigh almost nothing, and there is a small foam back panel that's easily removed to make this even more so the case.

These looks pretty ideal, thanks!

grubbers · · West Shore · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 0

Hyperlite Mountain Gear Summit Pack, mine was shipped to me in an envelope. It's been fairly durable so far, but I'd be hesitant to do any hauling with it.

Imploding Biceps · · Dirty South · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 1,938

I got a Exped summit lite 25L 

Exped lite

i really liked how light it was. Has some sewn loops, water bottle pouch, ice axe sling, and chest and waist straps

C. Seaton · · SLC, UT · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 0

CAMP Phantom 2.0 or B.D Blitz 20

Doug Hutchinson · · Seattle and Eastrevy · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 311
Sean H · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Dec 2008 · Points: 120
Doug Hutchinson wrote:

I'm sure it's bomber and fine when you have a short approach. However, it costs $80, and weighs a full pound. That Exped pack someone above me linked weighs 10 oz (almost 40% lighter), stores 25L v 16L, and costs $60, not $80. I could say similar about the Marmot packs I linked.

I will admit, they're made of thin material that would not enjoy repeated romps up Epinephrine or Stack-Salathe - however those won't instantly kill those packs, and the lighter material makes them much easier to fit into your big overnight pack.

skye bacus · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 125

I really enjoy the Patagonia Ascensionist 25L. I added shock cord to the sides to add compression so that all of the contents stay put when climbing. It has an axe loops as well. Mine rolls up small enough to fit into a side pocket of my 65L pack. I have a friend who loves the Link 16L -- but he is always sacrificing a layer or water in order to climb with shoes and food. I think the 25L is a good all-around size. Especially if the approach is really snowwy.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "packable multipitch backpacks?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started