Mountain Project Logo

Australia Blue Mountains in September

Original Post
Sergey Shelukhin · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 14

So I have a work trip to Sydney end of September, I was wondering if I should take a few days off to go to Blue Mountains to climb. Esp. since crimpy stuff and non-granite multipitch are basically my two favorite types of climbing.

Seems like September has good weather. Two things that concern me... The left-side driving. Is it practical (or advisable) to get to good areas by transit, or maybe taxi, plus walking? Or to rent a car in Katoomba to minimize driving. Never drove on the left, I hear it's hard to adjust and I panic easily as is :)

Also is it easy to find partners, and what is the best place, esp. online? I'll likely be able to climb Friday-Sunday. I found some guiding services but I wouldn't want to do that every day... 

Alan Rubin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 10

Hi, I was there in Sept. a few years ago. We only got in 3 days in the Blue Mountains --and only single pitch, but found it excellent--definitely worth the trip from Sydney. We had surprisingly variable weather--much of it being unusually cold and wet, but the day after I left the temps went over 100 F and soon the climbing areas were being threatened by major brush fires. Normally, though, the weather is reportedly very pleasant at that time of year.

I didn't try to drive left-side there, but had frightening experiences doing so in Scotland a few years previously--though it is surely possible to adjust. However the main Blue Mountain areas are very accessible by train from Sydney. The principal towns--Katoomba, etc. are located pretty much directly on top of the escarpment and are served by regular train service from the city and it is usually a reasonably short walk from the station to a number of the more popular crags. My recollection is that it is about an hour and a half-2 hour train ride with the walking time varying depending on the cliff of choice but can be as short as 10 minutes. Given this it surely doesn't seem to be worth renting a car in one of the mountain towns to get to the crags--you'd spend more time arranging the rental than you would walking in, unless you are trying to get to one of the more remote areas.

As far as a place to hopefully meet up with folks to climb with, obviously my experience was very limited, but the sport crag of Upper Shipley (and the nearby crags such as Centennial Glen) was very accessible (about a 20 minute walk from the train to the base), very popular, good quality and with a good range of grades in a compact area so is likely a good place to find folks who will be willing to share belays. I was with friends who were in Sydney for the year so didn't try looking for folks to join but those we did meet were very friendly--a general characteristic of the Aussies!!!

Healyje · · PDX · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 422

Absolutely one of my all time favorite climbing areas...have fun.

B L · · Montréal, Québec · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 300

HI Sergey

I did a 2500km roadtrip along the coast of Australia a few years ago. Coming from Canada, I was very concerned with driving on the left beforehand. I must say it went very well and the adaptation was very easy. It is intimidating at first and can be confusing. What worked for me was to remember that the driver is always towards the center of the road. I found that to be much easier than trying to visualize which lane to turn, pass etc etc. as they are all the opposite of North America. It helped a lot that the roads in Australia are very well maintained, indications are very well placed and that the drivers are courteous and calm. I was far more nervous driving in Italy and in certain big european cities even though they drive  on the same side as NA.

Keep in mind that most cars are standards and the shifter is handled with your left hand. As in NA lowest gear is towards the left and higher gear towards the right. Pedals are the same as in NA. Flasher lever is on the right and wipers lever is on left. That was actually the only confusing part of the experience that I never got used to. When I wanted to signal a turn I always handled the left hand lever which activated the wipers instead.

My first drive was in Sydney CBD during afternoon rush hour. It helps to avoid that part of the day on your first drive and to look up and remember the route you wish to take in the big city before starting the car. But as I said, the Aussies are generally very respectful on the road, the experience is greatly facilitated.

Its a wonderful country and the roadtrip enhances the experience once outside the big cities. Imagine travelling in Western US by public transit vs hiring a car.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

International
Post a Reply to "Australia Blue Mountains in September"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started