Mountain Project Logo

Crash Pads needed in August

Original Post
jack sklar · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 0

Me and 4 other friends will be in colorado climbing in RMNP and Mt Evans for a couple weeks and are searching for crash pads to use for our trip. Renting for the length of our stay seems to be just as expensive as buying new pads, and we are trying to avoid checking crash pads on our flight due to how expensive they make it for extra bags and since they consider it to be oversized. Looking for anyone that is selling their used crash pads for relatively cheap, or anyone that is willing to rent out their pads to us for cheap. Willing to hear out any suggestions. Thanks!

jleining · · CO · Joined Apr 2007 · Points: 32

Your best bet is to just find a few of the plethora that are stashed at these areas.

MAKB · · Denver, CO. · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 13,121

I think adding some info to your personal page might help make people more likely to let you rent/borrow. Also, what are the dates? A couple weeks in the alpine is a lot of wear on some crashpads. 

August 16th - 30th. In my experience, ~2 weeks of climbing with rest days mixed in isn't enough to noticeably change the condition of a crash pad.

Philip Magistro · · Estes Park, CO · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 0
jleining wrote:

Your best bet is to just find a few of the plethora that are stashed at these areas.

You are, I imagine, well aware that stashed pads in RMNP are considered abandoned property after 24 hours, not to mention getting soaked and chewed by marmots.  It is in our best interest to carry pads in/out and in general follow LNT best practices to avoid endangering access to the area.

jleining · · CO · Joined Apr 2007 · Points: 32
 Philip Magistro wrote:

You are, I imagine, well aware that stashed pads in RMNP are considered abandoned property after 24 hours, not to mention getting soaked and chewed by marmots.  It is in our best interest to carry pads in/out and in general follow LNT best practices to avoid endangering access to the area.

Yes I am well aware, which is why I suggested to the OP to find one of the many that are stashed and use it. Heck, the OP should even keep one; that is how I acquired my pad after all. 

Thanks for the advice to everyone who responded!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Crash Pads needed in August"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started