Mountain Project Logo

Family camping in the mountains not too far from ventura

Original Post
krispyyo · · Duluth, MN · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 65

Hey everyone, I posted awhile back about cool spots to camp near ventura. That was an awesome thread with some excellent recs, we tried many of them and enjoyed. 

https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/111811636/cool-places-to-camp-near-ventura-ca

I have a week off coming up and am wanting to take the fam camping in the mountains somewhere. Looks like Yosemite campgrounds are all booked, so looking for other options. Here's what I'm looking for:

- mountains within 5 or so hours of Ventura

- Family friendly: swimming holes, hot springs, cool stuff for little kids, etc

- Some bouldering would be cool

- Beautiful and quiet

- I've heard Kern river area by the needles is awesome, plus I'de like to at least check out the needles, won't be climbing walls with the fam though. Any recs for specific nice campgrounds? Quaking aspen? others? 

Thanks for the help

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 349
Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11

Pretty sure the Lone Pine area is less than 5 hours from Ventura. Alabama Hills. Whitney Portal. Cottonwood lakes....

phylp phylp · · Upland · Joined May 2015 · Points: 1,102

Drive a little farther and get just what you want at Oh Ridge Campground on June Lake. Gorgeous views. Good bouldering right there. Beautiful beach on the lake. Hot springs not too far. Fun stuff like Obsidian Dome and Mammoth Crater that are very short hikes in from parking, easy to take kids to. 

Hey Guy, thanks again for the good info! I hope you ended up finding another good orthopedic doc! 

Thanks to all who replied for your input, this is super helpful for planning our trip. 

krispyyo .....  how do you like Ventura? 

looking for a TR on this Family Vacation. All the info about places to on this thread are spot on .... go to each and every one, some of the best California has to offer. 

enjoy

Fat Dad · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 60

I like Quaking Aspen alot.  Like Guy says, no bouldering to speak of but nice hiking, good Sequoia groves nearby, good mt. biking.  Short hike to the top of nearby Dome Rock offers great views of the Needles.  

People don't think of LA as having nice camping, but I like Buckhorn CG off the Angeles Crest Hwy.  around 7,000' so it's cool, close to Horse Flats (with good bouldering).  

I was up at Whitney Portal a couple of weeks ago.  Great scenery, streams, nice waterfall and a fishing pond.  Limited but decent bouldering.  Good burgers at the Store.  

Edited to insert pictures.  

Hey guys, realized I never replied to this thread. I've checked out some of these spots up in Kern and also around Lone Pine and it's been awesome! Thanks for the replies, definitely helped us find some amazing spots.

One of my favorites was Lower Grays Meadows campground up near Lone Pine last fall. Amazing changing leaves, tent right next to a creek, spectacular views, close to Alabama Hills for fun climbing with kids, and nobody else was camped there! Seriously I guess everyone was at Whitney Portal, we had the practically the whole campground to ourselves!

And Guy, I love Ventura! It's really an awesome place and I like it more and more as the years go by. Definitely happy to be here.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern California
Post a Reply to "Family camping in the mountains not too far fro…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started