Mountain Project Logo

FS: 2011 Subaru Outback Limited with Camper 'Conversion' (SoCal)

FOR SALE/WANTED WARNING: Mountain Project cannot verify the identity or trustworthiness of any member. Fraud has happened.
  • Do not use PayPal "gift" payments, wire transfers, Western Union, etc.
  • Use PayPal credit card payments, or other systems that protect you from fraud.
Original Post — This topic is locked and closed to new replies
Forrest · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0

Hi everyone, I'm upgrading to a bigger rig and am working on selling my 2011 Subaru Outback with 98k miles on it. I built a sleeping platform in the rear that collapses into the trunk -- allowing you to quickly set it up in 'camper' mode or put the seats up and seat five. I'm hoping to sell to someone who might appreciate and use the conversion rather than pulling it out and handing over the vehicle to a broker.

Located in Southern California (Los Angeles) but would be willing to help arrange transportation/shipping.

CL ad: https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/6224156203.html

Video on how converted back works: https://youtu.be/cX2H5XjoDSo

Thanks for looking.

dylan grabowski · · Denver · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 95

Approximately how many inches is the platform? I'm 6'2" and am looking at vehicles that will accommodate my height!

Thanks.

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

Whoa!  I should do that to mine

dylan grabowski wrote:

Approximately how many inches is the platform? I'm 6'2" and am looking at vehicles that will accommodate my height!

Thanks.

Hey Dylan, the boards have a combined length of 73" plus about an inch of space between them to make it... 6' 2" exactly.

There is another 2-3" of space between the hatch door and the end of the platform, so I think you would fit comfortably!

Happy to say that this went to a fellow climber here in SoCal. Thanks for the interest from those who reached out. 

Jeff Tang · · Bridgeport, CT · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 16

Seriously, that's rad. Very ingenious and yet simple. Is it actually fastened in place? If so, how? Glad it's getting continued use.

Jeff Tang wrote:

Seriously, that's rad. Very ingenious and yet simple. Is it actually fastened in place? If so, how? Glad it's getting continued use.

Jeff, the Outback has two anchor points of sorts in the trunk near the rear passenger seats. I ran a thick band of rubber between them to secure the front legs of the platform. I figured that would help in the event of a lower speed collision.

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

Do you think that last piece is even necessary that has the folding part that rests on the headrests? How much extra room does that add?

I have a slightly older outback but my girlfriend and I dont reach anywhere elose to 6' in height so Im wondering if I could just make something similar without that last folding piece.....

Jan R · · Portland, OR · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 0

Hey Forrest,
Sweet technical solution for your Outback!
Do you have any drawings, photo documentation during the build, all sorts of tips? Thinking about building something similar!

Thank you!

This topic is locked and closed to new replies.

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started