Mountain Project Logo

Static rope for anchoring

Original Post
Daniel Vega · · Gardena, CA · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0

what sizes and average length of rope would be efficient to set up a top rope anchor?

David K · · The Road, Sometimes Chattan… · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 423

50 ft is long enough for most things, buy the lightest rope you a) don't mind paying for and b) is rated to a strength you feel comfortable with. For me I'm comfortable with >20kN (my SuperStatic2 3/8 in rope is rated to 23kN MBS).

There are other properties of the rope like suppleness, etc. but honestly I don't think they matter much for top rope anchors.

that guy named seb · · Britland · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 236

10mm and up, go for as long as you can justify that way if you damage it you can always chop a bit off or create a permanent alpine butterfly.

Double J · · Sandy, UT · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 3,931

I use a 40 foot 9mm for my max length and carry a 20 foot Sometimes as well and am good to go 99% of the time. 

Wes C · · Cleveland, oh · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 146

Static rope I use is 10mm and is 100ft in length.  I also bring some webbing in case I need it since it's light.  But where I mostly climb, I can handle almost every climb with the 100ft of static line.

Jack Servedio · · Raleigh, NC · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 35

It's entirely dependent on where you climb. For top rope cragging, weight isn't an issue so get something decently fat (9-10mm) and longer than you think you need. I started at Devils Lake and have the same lengths as Jon because, well, everyone there has pretty much the same.

Having a second shorter static line is super useful because you may not need 40 or 50 feet for the majority of anchors and dealing with that much rope when it's not needed can be a pain.

But, there are plenty of places that require very long lines for TR - so make sure you know what you need at your crag.

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492
Daniel Vega wrote:

what sizes and average length of rope would be efficient to set up a top rope anchor?

FYI - there's no need to ask your question in two different forums here.  

David K · · The Road, Sometimes Chattan… · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 423
Jack Servedio wrote:

For top rope cragging, weight isn't an issue...

I suppose this is personal preference, but I don't like hiking in a bunch of heavy stuff, and most places I have climbed required at least a little hiking.

Jack Servedio · · Raleigh, NC · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 35
David Kerkeslager wrote:

I suppose this is personal preference, but I don't like hiking in a bunch of heavy stuff, and most places I have climbed required at least a little hiking.

What I meant is that when you are toproping, 12 oz. for those extra 20 feet of static is not going to break you. It's not like you are carrying in a double rack, 2 ropes, water, and rain gear where ounces add up.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Beginning Climbers
Post a Reply to "Static rope for anchoring "

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.