Mountain Project Logo

Harness Rental? Any Advice??

Original Post
Ty Jentzen · · Commerce City · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

Heading to Moab in a week. Climbing with two people without harnesses. Looking to rent a couple. Any suggestions? Thrill Seekers is the only place I've found that even rents harnesses off site but i would like to find a place in or around the Moab area due to the fact i only need them one day.

Callum Parkinson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 95

Either borrow friends or make tape harnesses 

David House · · Boulder, CO · Joined Nov 2001 · Points: 453

It's really hard to find a place to rent a harness anymore. What size are you looking for? I've got an old Petzl you can have

JaredG · · Tucson, AZ · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 17

Swiss seat from 2" tubular webbing?

David K · · The Road, Sometimes Chattan… · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 423

Entry-level harnesses are pretty cheap these days. In the $40 range you could get a decent harness (BD Momentum, Petzl Corax, Camp USA Energy) and sell it on MP for $25 when you're done with it.

There are also those gym-style harnesses in the $20 range. I've seen gyms rent these out for $15 so renting might not even save you much money if you go this route. But those are so uncomfortable I wouldn't inflict them on someone I liked.

John Barritt · · The 405 · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 1,083
ebmudder · · Bronx, NY · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 55

Is this "real" climbing or just roping up to lower down slots and things like that? If it's just for temporary protection you can use a double-length sling looped around the waist and through the legs...that was my introduction to lowering in Moab. No one wants to rent harnesses because of the liability issues. Or buy a cheap harness and sell it after a single use...you will probably recoup more of the cost than you would spend trying to rent.

Ty Jentzen · · Commerce City · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

@DavidHous. I'm sure we can make any size work lol. But probably medium or large

David House · · Boulder, CO · Joined Nov 2001 · Points: 453

Ty:  I responded to your PM, hopefully not too late!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Harness Rental? Any Advice??"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started