Mountain Project Logo

Kiteboarding *and* climbing

Original Post
Livia · · Doha, QA · Joined Mar 2005 · Points: 230

I'm dreaming of living somewhere in the world where I can both climb and kiteboard within an hour or two where I live.

Preferably, I would like to live very near the climbing location but have kiteboarding within a short-ish drive.

It would be nice if this were somewhere in the world where I could live longer term without visa issues (American/Canadian).

I'm fairly open as to the type of climbing as long as the quality is good. If I could choose I would prefer areas with all types of rock climbing (sport/trad/single&multi pitch) like Smith Rock or the Colorado Front Range.

Being able to do both sports, or one or the other, nearly year round would be a big bonus.

Ideas?

Alex Kowalcyk · · Idaho · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 65

Squamish.

Livia · · Doha, QA · Joined Mar 2005 · Points: 230

Good suggestion - Squamish definitely has both, and obviously great rock. I'm a bit of a wimp about freezing water and the kite/climb season both seem too short and overlapping to spend all year there unless you have a winter sport.

Oregon has both too (Smith Rock and the Gorge) with a longer climbing season but an equivalent length kite season I think.

20 kN · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,346
Livia wrote:I'm dreaming of living somewhere in the world where I can both climb and kiteboard within an hour or two where I live. Preferably, I would like to live very near the climbing location but have kiteboarding within a short-ish drive. It would be nice if this were somewhere in the world where I could live longer term without visa issues (American/Canadian). I'm fairly open as to the type of climbing as long as the quality is good. If I could choose I would prefer areas with all types of rock climbing (sport/trad/single&multi pitch) like Smith Rock or the Colorado Front Range. Being able to do both sports, or one or the other, nearly year round would be a big bonus. Ideas?
Hawaii. You can kite surf from the same parking lot you park your car to go climbing. One of the most popular kite surfing areas in the state is about a mile from the largest crag in the state. Both sports can be done 365 days a year in nothing warmer than a t-shirt and shorts.
Mark Hudon · · Lives on the road · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 420

Hood River in the winter is quite depressing. Absolutely beautiful in late spring, summer and fall though. 

Which island, 20 kN? 

keithconn · · LI, NY · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 35

If your really talking two hours then LI has both insane kit boarding and the Gunks within two hours however I'll never suggest anyone move to this over crowded island!  Ever!  Good luck!  

jacob m s · · Provo, Utah · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 135

Utah, salt lake or Utah valley. People like to kite board at Deer Creek reservoir up Provo Canyon.

My daughter goes to school on Oahu. I'll have to go visit! 

DanielHart · · Carpinteria ca · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 5

Santa Barbara and Ventura CA have both. I always cringe when I see kiteboarders out since it's a good sign the surf is blown out. 

Austin Todd · · Squamish · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 30

I live in Charlotte NC and have climbing anywhere from 30 min to 3 hours west, and the coast is just over 3 hours east. The drives are a little longer than I would like but it stays pretty warm most of the year and the outer banks has some awesome kite boarding. 

Robin S · · Durango, CO · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 41

I do both from Portland, OR. I've climbed in the Colombia river gorge as early as January and as late as November. Obviously there's Smith, but lots of other small crags around that are suitable for day trips. I kite only in the Pacific Ocean, which is about an hour and a half away. Lots of kiters in the Cannon Beach/Manzanita area. Many people also kite the Columbia River. Heard it's very nice but I've never done it there. Wind at the coast blows nearly every afternoon from March/April to at least September.

Ken Noyce · · Layton, UT · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 2,648
jacob m s wrote:

Utah, salt lake or Utah valley. People like to kite board at Deer Creek reservoir up Provo Canyon.

I've also seen people kiteboarding on Utah Lake and Bear Lake.

jedeye · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 18

Puerto Rico. Gobs of great limestone, with some granite and volcanic rock for a little variety, all surrounded by warm, windy water, and part of the USA - maybe even a state one of these decades...

Matthew Marshall · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 0

Mollorca Spain, Cayman Brac, somewhere in Greece?  I have been wondering this same thing for a while now Livia.  I live in Ithaca NY, and theres fresh water lake kiteboarding on the finger lakes but not enough good days per year, and a decent indoor climbing gym at cornell.  I'd love to move to a magical place like that one day!!  Good luck, hope u find it!!

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374

Until you can afford to move to the warm all year location, maybe try out snowkiting?

Best, OLH

Jon Po · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 255

Arco, Italy! The sport climbing is okay but the Dolomites are less than 3 hours away! Lake Garda is one of the best kiteboarding venues in the world!

John Barritt · · The 405 · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 1,083
Old lady H wrote:

Until you can afford to move to the warm all year location, maybe try out snowkiting?

Best, OLH

Sounds dangerous......... ;)

Fleetwood Matt · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 620

Livia, The water kiting here on the western slope of Colorado is a little desperate but the snowkiting is off the hook.  Can't be bothered to ice climb much any more! (Except mybe right now as we're still wiating for snow).  As many types of climbing experience as you're willing to go discover.

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374
John Barritt wrote:

Sounds dangerous......... ;)

John, I'm not going to be skiing at all, but look it up! If you ski, I think it would be ridiculously fun.

We have a lot of winter here, so people come up with anything plausible for entertainment, as many others out there. The one I find really amusing are folks hauling kayaks up to snoyak down!

And, I have to admit, if I had the money, I'd pop for a run or two down the bobsled run, if it's still up in SLC. 

Or a winter/spring ascent up a peak with a honkin long glissade back down. Waaaahoooooo!

Best, Helen

John Barritt · · The 405 · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 1,083

H, if I get to Idaho I'm doing this https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=D1c6W8xbF_s Livia, what if I told you you could live 5 minutes from year round climbing and kite boarding both? 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Other Sports
Post a Reply to "Kiteboarding *and* climbing"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started