Mountain Project Logo

Camping in Lake Tahoe/South Lake Tahoe

Original Post
Madeline Farmer · · Long Beach, CA · Joined May 2016 · Points: 0

Curious to see if anyone knows of any cool secluded/smaller campgrounds around Lake Tahoe. Looking to head up at the end of the month but every campground I looked at (state park and other recreation.gov) was full! Also considering getting a permit and hiking out into Desolation Wilderness so if anyone has any good beta on the best places to hike out to/permit zones along the west side of the lake - that would be awesome. 

Thank you! 

Danny Herrera · · Sebastopol · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 567

upper sugar pine. But i also saw some tents set up somewhere along bliss past the forest signs.

King Tut · · Citrus Heights · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 430

Right in Tahoe is going to be booked. How close to Tahoe do you need to be and where are you going to be climbing? Lots of free camping in undeveloped sites I can turn you on to within 30 mins of the lake, but the developed sites are ~$20 bucks a day.

Kevin DeWeese · · Oakland, CA · Joined May 2014 · Points: 1

Donner Pass, Park at parking lot at top, cross road and hike 5 minutes North on PCT, nice open spot with vistas of Donner Lake. 

King Tut wrote:

Right in Tahoe is going to be booked. How close to Tahoe do you need to be and where are you going to be climbing? Lots of free camping in undeveloped sites I can turn you on to within 30 mins of the lake, but the developed sites are ~$20 bucks a day.

Awesome! I would love to snag some beta from you on some of the undeveloped and developed campsites around the area. 30 minutes isn't. Ad at all! Do you have any names/areas for these sites? 

Thank you!

King Tut · · Citrus Heights · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 430
Madeline Farmer 1 wrote:

Awesome! I would love to snag some beta from you on some of the undeveloped and developed campsites around the area. 30 minutes isn't. Ad at all! Do you have any names/areas for these sites? 

Thank you!

North or South Lake? And send me a PM :).

King Tut wrote:

North or South Lake? And send me a PM :).

Message sent - thank you! :)

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "Camping in Lake Tahoe/South Lake Tahoe"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started