Mountain Project Logo

Climbing buddies in Greenvile NC?

Original Post
Peri Bolton · · Greenvile, NC · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

Hi all, 

I am moving to Greenville, NC from Sydney Australia for a 6 month position and I am in need of some new rock climbing buddies there!

Any tips? From what I can see there isn't much of a gym there, or much in the way of outdoors without going out of town?

I am leading 5.10b/c in sport climbing here.

Peri

Scott Phil · · NC · Joined May 2010 · Points: 258

There is some bouldering and several gyms in the Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill). I'll let someone from there chime in with the details. There is great climbing in the western part of NC, but that is 3-7 hour drive to the west. Fortunately, most areas have good camping. 

Also, while there is some sport climbing in NC, trad routes are far more prevalent. Don't assume that a bolted route is sport unless you like to really run it out (20-50 feet between bolts is not uncommon).

Emil Briggs · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 125

Peri as you've noticed Greenville, NC is not a climbing hotspot. The Triangle Rock Club has a couple of gyms that are around an hour and a half drive from Greenville. There is one in North Raleigh, another in Morrisville and a third in Fayetteville. The North Raleigh one is probably the closest to you. Quality outdoor climbing is quite a bit further west though. You're looking at a 3.5 hour drive to Moores Wall, Pilot or Sauratown unfortunately.

Oh I almost forgot about this but there is a climbing wall at East Carolina University in Greenville. I met a group of students from ECU climbing at Pilot Mountain once who mentioned it. Not sure if it's open to non-students though.

Jordan Gay · · North Carolina · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 38

You can make it to the Asheboro boulders (must be a CCC member) in probably around 3 hours if you take 264 from Greenville.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern States
Post a Reply to "Climbing buddies in Greenvile NC?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started