Mountain Project Logo

Summer Night Climbing in Joshua Tree

Original Post
Daniel Melnyk · · Covina · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 50

Does anyone climb at Joshua at night? I started climbing trad this spring and only got one day in there and I don't want to wait 5 months to climb there again. There's plenty of stuff right of the roads to hit. Would the rangers have a problem with people climbing at night?

Chris Jack · · San Diego, CA · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

Yes, I climb there at night during the summer. Usually start around dusk and climb all night. Full moons are the best!

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 349

Look out for the Sidewinders......   they come out at night.   

Jon Hartmann · · Ojai, CA · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,751

I climbed on Saturday night from 10:30pm to sunrise on Sunday morning. All the classic climbs to yourself and it's still warm enough to only wear shirt if you want. No shirt would have worked too. I'm going back this weekend to do the same. I'm tired of driving 7 hours to Yosemite every Friday after work. 4 hours to Jtree is much much better. 

Mike Womack · · Orcutt, CA · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 2,015

What are your recommendations for where to park at night?  I know a few parking areas are closed after 9pm or so

Jon..... Pretty sad deal going to Josh in the summer dontcha think? 

You do not need to drive to the Valley ... 7 hours. You can go to Taquitz or the Needles or Bishop or Mammoth or Toloumine or about 20 more places I know of where you will have 

no camping issues and much better climbing than anything thats to be found in the scruffy sand box of miniature climbs that is known as Josh. 

But to each his own.... have fun 

I could say it's a sad deal bouldering at Stoney point or bouldering in general. Lol. Sorry Guy. I happen to love the brutality of Joshua Tree. If you can lead trad there, Yosemite and granite ends up feeling like prefab gym routes. I live in Ojai so Jtree is absolutely closest to me thus my decision. Believe it or not I am completely aware of how long it takes me to get to all the places you listed. I've been doing the weekend warrior thing for 10 years. Thanks for the beta though. There are no camping issues in the summer at all I or in the winter if you know where to camp. 

Mark, park on the road if the parking areas are closed. No problem. 

Johnny Victor · · Joshua Tree · Joined May 2014 · Points: 2

If you are parking at night in the park , leave a note on the windshield so the Ranger knows you are not lost and they don't have to search for you. 

That's a great idea about the note. I did have 3 people on lsd approach us at 2am asking us if we needed help. Lol. 

Jon....  just funnining with you. Please go wherever you wish.

Oh Guy. You're a hoot. All love. 

MP · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 2
Jon Hartmann wrote:

I happen to love the brutality of Joshua Tree. If you can lead trad there, Yosemite and granite ends up feeling like prefab gym routes. 

i'm confused by this statement- you do realize that j-tree is (monzo)granite? 

Benjamin Chapman · · Small Town, USA · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 19,062
Guy Keesee wrote:

Jon..... Pretty sad deal going to Josh in the summer dontcha think? 

You do not need to drive to the Valley ... 7 hours. You can go to Taquitz or the Needles or Bishop or Mammoth or Toloumine or about 20 more places I know of where you will have 

no camping issues and much better climbing than anything thats to be found in the scruffy sand box of miniature climbs that is known as Josh. 

But to each his own.... have fun 

Too funny...a guy that plays in an urban city park sandbox on Tuesdays and Thursdays calling Joshua Tree a scruffy sandbox. LOL.

Mpec, come on man. If you are trying to argue that Jtree and Yosemite are similar climbing styles based off the fact that they both contain granite...I can't help you understand anything. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern California
Post a Reply to "Summer Night Climbing in Joshua Tree"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started