Mountain Project Logo

drinking is for old people

Original Post
Tim Lutz · · Colo-Rado Springs · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 5

This post violated Rule #1. It has been removed by Mountain Project.

Ben Lyon · · Steele, AL · Joined May 2017 · Points: 5

This is likely very true and speaks to my experiences of the last 15 years..... Nothing like a overhanging offwidth, 250' off the deck, with a ringing hangover, after getting up at 5 AM. Now....it's all kambucha and yoga and 5.13s.

Fernando Cal · · SLC, UT · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 25

Cheers!

Sandbagger Vance · · Cincinnati, Ohio · Joined May 2016 · Points: 0

I don't drink at all at home, save for a single hdpe plastic stanley flask that I keep filled with Wild Turkey for my belayer and I on our hike back to the car.

Michael Brady · · Wenatchee, WA · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 1,362
LccClimber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 20
Ben Lyon wrote:

This is likely very true and speaks to my experiences of the last 15 years..... Nothing like a overhanging offwidth, 250' off the deck, with a ringing hangover, after getting up at 5 AM. Now....it's all kambucha and yoga and 5.13s.

Kambucha has alcohol in it. 

CTB · · Cave Creek, AZ · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 305
Sam Cieply · · Venice, CA · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 25
bruno-cx wrote:

I convinced a friend to leave a playboy at the pitstop back in 92/93.  Rumor has it Matt Samett or Johnny Myreck added the whiskey.  

These kids today just drink IPA's and smoke MMJ, yuck.

That's cuz IPA's and weed are dank brah!

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65

You'll need to pry my end-of-day martini from my cold, dead hands.

Now get off my lawn ya damn kids.

CTB wrote:

Coco Loko is what kids really want these days

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/snortable-chocolate-what-you-need-to-know-about-coco-loko-w491934

https://www.amazon.com/Coco-Infused-Cacao-Snuff-Container/dp/B071GRXDKW/ref=sr_1_1/132-1086699-9733735?ie=UTF8&qid=1499982619&sr=8-1&keywords=coco+loko

And yes, we are definitey in love with the coco! I'm doing a bump right now to get me ready for my 4:20 blunt session and 5 o'clock session IPA...

beensandbagged · · smallest state · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 0

Don't worry you will get your chance... if you are lucky you will be old one day.

Ben Thompson · · Bend OR · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 5

Speaking for part of the younger generation, I can tell you that between me and my climbing buddies, the party on lifestyle is certainly not dead.  If fact, still being drunk from the night before and keeping it going throughout the day only adds to the adventuresome aspect of climbing.  Why not make  5.5G climb feel like a 5.11X? All part of the fun!

Mark LaPierre · · spencer, MA · Joined May 2015 · Points: 70

Really, what is now the popular trendy beverage of the person hanging on the rock near you is a concern?  I climb to get away from just this sort of bullshit. Climbing at it's core is you and gravity, Simple and honest, and gravity doesn't care which ego enhancing libations you partake in.  Shut up and climb

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Benjamin Thompson wrote:

Salt Lake County Sheriff's Search and Rescue

RESCUE REPORT: 06/03//2017

RESCUE: Fallen climber with a head injury.

CALL OUT TIME: 3:25 PM

DURATION: 3 hours 19 Minutes

WEATHER: Sunny, warm

OTHER RESOURCES INVOLVED:
 UPD, Unified Fire, Life Flight

WHAT HAPPENED: Search and Rescue got called out around 3:25 PM on June 3rd for a fallen climber in Little Cottonwood Canyon at the Industrial Wall area. One was belaying the other while climbing one of the routes in the canyon.  It’s unknown what caused the climber to fall to the ground. The patient fell between 25-30 feet.  Unified Fire had two Medics on scene.  The patient had substantial head and shoulder wounds and was unconscious but breathing. It’s suspected that one or both the climbers may have been intoxicated while climbing and the patient was not wearing a helmet.

The patient was placed in bean bag and litter and transported about 50 yards down the low angle slope and out away from the canyon walls and trees to a place where Life Flight could hoist the patient. The second patient was the friend who had been belaying when the accident occurred. He was experiencing symptoms of minor shock and required some assistance to get him safely down which was accomplished by a hand line and a very small lower. No other injuries or accidents were reported.

MEDIA LINKS:

http://www.ksl.com/…

http://fox13now.com/…/man-in-critical-condition-after-fall…/

http://www.good4utah.com/…/man-in-critical-condit…/730970897

https://www.mountainproject.com/v/industrial-wall/105739524

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

^^^

That couldn't happen to me. Only to other people.

FrankPS wrote:

^^^

That couldn't happen to me. Only to other people.

Oh yeah, I forgot rock climbing is inherently dangerous, must be all that cheeba cheeba. Thanks for the level headed responses. I do enjoy turning up on occasion, but certainly not on the day.

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

I guess I am in the middle but we went bouldering while drinking onetime... one of the girls passed out (my friend picked her up to carried on his back) and later after getting lost trying to find the way back to the campsite my friend left myself (who finally kinda passed out) and her by a trail. He than spent 4 hours finding the way back to the campsite and brought both of us water and sleeping bags along with my cellphone which he texted instructions for us to get back when we woke up in the morning.

Just make sure you go with good friends.

Agree that it is more important to have an adventure than climb a random hard route.

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

I was an alchoholic but i almost never drank while climbing. I always drank long and hard after climbing. Sober since aug 2006

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

Of course i climbed viciously hung over many times......

Ben Lyon · · Steele, AL · Joined May 2017 · Points: 5
LccClimber wrote:

Kambucha has alcohol in it. 

Bourbon has more.

Chris C · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 407

Call me a square.  I won't even drink heavily the week before and a day after a big ascent.  I'm a square.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "drinking is for old people"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started