Mountain Project Logo

Lone peak conditions 2017

Original Post
Wally29 Wall · · Salt Lake City, Utah · Joined Sep 2006 · Points: 40

Anybody been up yet?  Wondering if there's too much snow to camp in the meadow still? 

And in case anyone is interested, Red Wine crag in red pine is good to go. A bit of snow on the approach/base but perfect temps up there yesterday so enjoy. :)

Charlie S · · NV · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 2,391

Instagram user @wildwildwasatch was up there last week and posted a number of photos.  Looks snowy in the cirque but manageable if you're willing to kick hard.

nineplusplus Utah · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 41

On Wednesday, 14 June, there was still quite a bit of snow covering all the classic camp spots in the cirque.  All the trade routes appeared dry, despite the 3-4" of new snow that fell Monday-Tuesday; the snow level starts at ~9.5k feet.  We saw plenty of p.m. flow near the mouth of the drainage; the approach from Alpine via the Hamangogs had lots of water, even in the a.m.  The Collin's Highway ramp has some snow; if the step-kicking to reach the base of the routes seemed manageable, then safely reaching the bolted rap-anchors above Pete's Staircase should pose no problem.  Be sure to bring WAG-BAGs.  Giv'r!

Creed Archibald · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,016

Follow

Despite the clouds, the wind and the cooler temps, Saturday, 17 June, saw several parties queued below the Lowe route by early p.m.  Some weirdo was up there with his dog, but we were relieved to find that he, too, was packing out its poo...  wish everyone did the same--whether canine, or human!  Still plenty of snow covering the flat camping; there were, however, a few dry potential bivy spots beginning to appear atop the talus.  

Brian E · · Western North Carolina · Joined Mar 2005 · Points: 363

Follow

grog m · · Saltlakecity · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 70

Followers - at the top of the thread there is a check box that allows you to follow the thread and you do not have to comment. Just FYI! 

grog m · · Saltlakecity · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 70

Mason Earl was just up at the Cirque this weekend. https://www.instagram.com/p/BWEFGm7l5Gd/?taken-by=mason_earle&hl=en

Noah J · · Desert, NM · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 446

Great condition, lots of water, approach trail clean and mostly well marked to the snow field.

There was a good-sized rattlesnake along the ridge descent from the top of the Question Mark Wall--between the top of the Lowe Route and the top of Collin's Highway.  Beautiful markings, older specimen.  Let's leave it alone, please.  
Benjamin Anderson · · Provo, UT · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 20

I've got a group coming up for all of next weekend. My main concern is water supply. Do you think in a week there would still be a dependable amount of runoff or snow to melt? 

Thanks! 

slc.underscore.dan · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 0
Benjamin Anderson wrote:

I've got a group coming up for all of next weekend. My main concern is water supply. Do you think in a week there would still be a dependable amount of runoff or snow to melt? 

Thanks! 

First weekend of July was my first time, but I would guess there should still be plenty of water.  I would guess you could rely on water till 2nd week of August.

Benjamin,

There's likely going to be snow to melt for some time, yet; be sure, however, to take measures to treat/boil your snowmelt--not everyone visiting the cirque packs their waste out, so you've got to assume that the water's contaminated.  PLEASE USE WAG-BAGS!!!  There ought to be some available, gratis,  at the SLCA/Draper Parks & Rec. kiosk at Ghost Falls trailhead, below the Jacob's Ladder approach; don't count on it, though...  IME has them in stock:  the reusable, Go-Anywhere WAG-BAGS are $2.50 each.  3265 E. 3300 S.  M-Sat, 10-7, Sundays, Noon-5.  See you there!

Tyler N · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 155

Just got back, plenty of water left up there. 

Benjamin Anderson · · Provo, UT · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 20

Are there any group heading up to lone peak cirque Friday sometime? I'm trying to get up there but not really wanting to go on such a committing trail for the first time all alone.

Thanks a ton!

BrokenChairs 88 · · Denver, CO · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 240
Benjamin Anderson wrote:

Are there any group heading up to lone peak cirque Friday sometime? I'm trying to get up there but not really wanting to go on such a committing trail for the first time all alone.

Thanks a ton!

Here you go: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1kBFWLkm50esGO8f6OpXGHn6jhZQ&hl=en_US&ll=40.51156888328359%2C-111.79481443148956&z=13

It's really not that hard it's a pretty established trail.  You should just do a little research stalk people in the parking lot and the follow them up.  But be sure to keep your distance and hide behind trees should they turn around. 

Okay I'll stop violating number one; just go find it like I said it's straight forward and there are good markers the whole way.  Plus it's a pretty large feature so if in doubt just walk towards the headwall.  There are a ton of great write ups on how to hike LPC. 

Alex Temus · · Lehi, UT · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 362

Here is a fantastic preview of the trail. The app is also very useful if it's your first time up there or you are otherwise unsure of the route.

https://www.hikingproject.com/trail/7027699

Only don't use the link to Google maps for driving directions, it's way off! Instead, Drive to "Orson Smith Park" and follow the dirt road on the south side of the parking lot for about 2.5 miles to a closed gate and a dirt parking lot with an outhouse. The trail starts there.

Alex Temus · · Lehi, UT · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 362

Just got back from the cirque! IMO snow will be there for around 3 more weeks. Perfect conditions right now.

Nick Pinto · · Carbondale, CO · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 31

Anyone have an update on water supply in the cirque? Hoping to get up there this weekend. 

The Gear Room · · Cottonwood Heights, UT · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 0

Water Update: There are still some pools and a small flow just outside the cirque proper in the morning.

There's a flow at the far western edge of the 2nd Hammangog, as well.  

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern Utah & Idaho
Post a Reply to "Lone peak conditions 2017"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started