Mountain Project Logo

Recommendations for how to tape ankle for climbing?

Original Post
Patrick Beeson · · Portland, OR · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 157

I sprained my ankle recently, and would like to try taping it before climbing to provide some stability (especially since this is the second time I've sprained this ankle). Does anyone have a recommendation of how to do this? Links, images or videos would be helpful.

Thanks!

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374

"How to wrap an ankle for gymnastics" will get you lots of stuff, whether it is injured, needs a brace, taping, a wrap, or flat out broken.

Basically, what I used to do for high arches as a gymnast is what they show for ankles, for the simplest stuff. Around the ankle, across the top of the arch, under the arch, back up across the top, and around the ankle. An "x" essentially, alternately looping the arch and ankle, with the last wraps just around the ankle.

Best, OLH

Doug Chism · · Arlington VA · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 45

I sprained my ankle last Wednesday and taped as Old Lady describes and climbed on Thursday. It hurt a bit but not too bad. Taped and climbed again on Sunday with no pain. Going to climb tomorrow without taping, at least initially. 

I bought one of those balance cushions on the advice of an orthopedic I know, since I sprain ankles a lot. Apparently they really help tighten up old loose ankles so they are less likely to sprain. 

Francesca Parratt · · Worthing, West Sussex · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 160

Using finger tape I applied this to a rolled ankle (skateboarding as an adult is a bad idea) and it worked wonders. Good luck!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Injuries and Accidents
Post a Reply to "Recommendations for how to tape ankle for climb…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started