Mountain Project Logo

Shuteye Recommended spots for 2WD easy access

Original Post
Max McKinnon · · San Jose, CA · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 115

Is there a website to check out the conditions of the roads around shuteye?

I am climbing there this upcoming weekend, and I want to see what routes and campsites I will be able to access. I've never been there before, but I have the guidebook, and I see the mention that a lifted 4x4 is needed for a lot of the trails.

Thanks!

thewondersof science · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

I was just up there last week, beautiful spot.  Definitely recommended.

What kind of car will you be driving?  A 2wd vehicle with some decent clearance (small truck, small suv, etc.) will get you to the "2WD camp" from the book, but not past that.  You can still hike to many of the crags from this parking spot, dreamscape, queens throne, the talon, etc.. You can also hike to the top of the ridge from this spot.  However, if you have a car with minimal clearance, you will have some difficulty as soon as you get on central camp rd.  The road is in decent condition but there are several sections that got semi washed out from the past season.  Take everything I have said with a grain of salt, as I was in a (stock) jeep wrangler, so the road may have seemed better than it really was.  I saw a couple of other cars at 2wd camp, a subaru outback and a small 2wd truck.

splitclimber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 18

Chiquito dome is the easiest with no dirt road to access.  Trailhead to Milky Way wall would probably be the next easiest.  big sleep is probably doable in a car but can be rocky.

Max R · · Bend · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 292

Be advised, the road to 2wd camp is in worse condition than the previous years. I saw people walking in from as far as the turn off from Central Camp this weekend. My buddy in a Honda CRV made it, but not without loosing some plastic and scraping his exhaust. As opposed to last year, a friend of mine made it in a Honda Fit no problem. Some of the lower domes are easier to access, but are at lower elevation and have nearly all day sun. 

Cory B · · Fresno, CA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 2,577
Tim Opsahl · · South Lake Tahoe, CA · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 20

How bad are the 4x4 roads? Can a forester get by okay, or do you need a big truck?

Cory B · · Fresno, CA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 2,577

See my above point. Which road to which formation? Shuteye is not one location. 

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 349

You can go to "The Melting Wall" in a well driven sports car. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "Shuteye Recommended spots for 2WD easy access"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started