Mountain Project Logo

Wheeler Mountain

Original Post
Jeremy A · · Concord, NH · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 475

Has anyone been up to Wheeler recently? I am planning on going up there soon to revisit the classics. I know there was some logging last year and the parking had been a question. Any info would be appreciated. 

Jeremy

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

parking was ok

Luca Keushguerian · · Yerevan, AM · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 2,817

the new "descent trail" that you take is super convoluted and takes way to god-damn long to hike and is a huge pain in the ass. If you plan on topping out then I would suggest bringing 2 ropes and rapping the great corner then walking back out the approach trail. 

Jeremy A · · Concord, NH · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 475

Thanks guys. Hopefully I will run into you over there Nick, been a while. Have you been up the Great Corner lately? Definitely plan on that as the opener for the day. Enjoy, and stay safe. Regards,

Emmett Lyman · · Stoneham, MA (Boston burbs) · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 480

We went a couple times last season. Parking wasn't an issue, but there isn't a whole lot of room so it could be if popularity increases. And the road isn't bad, but might be tricky in some cars after a rainstorm. Completely agree with Luca about the descent - rap if you can.

David Powers · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 274
june m · · elmore, vt · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 110

Most  routes at wheeler can  be rapped, lots of  bolted anchors. There is a missing pin on the great  corner. The pin scar takes a ball nut well. I doubt there are enuf afficiandos  of scary  run out friction  for it to be over crowded.  Also beware the light green  lichen  is like grease when it is wet.

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

that pin scar takes a #4 BD stopper as well. Much more warm and Fuzzy for me than a ball nut.....

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "Wheeler Mountain"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started