Mountain Project Logo

Stiff and wide…

Original Post
Chad Miller · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 150

Yeah it's a shoe thread, but it's for trail runners!  

I'm looking for a trial runner or low cut hiking shoe with a wide toe box and stiff shank / foot bed. I've tried the Ultra's but they're just too soft. 

Any of you have any recommendations?

ze dirtbag · · Tahoe · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 50

Which Altras did you try?

Lewis H · · rapid city, SD · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 5

Might wanna check out the las sportiva x2

jaredj · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 165

Not a runner, but the 5.10 Camp Four has a pretty darn stiff sole, moreso than a lot of the other similar-looking shoes (e.g. low-top Merrells).   While marketed as an approach shoe, I think it is basically a durable "light hiker" that is quite stiff for a low-top.

ze dirtbag wrote:

Which Altras did you try?

Lone Peak 3.0

Lewis H wrote:

Might wanna check out the las sportiva x2

I've tried La Sportiva's before, they're way too narrow for my feet. 

RangerJ · · Denver, CO · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 65

The trail Altras come with a rock guard insert that makes the sole stiffer. Have you tried that?

So I have the Lone Peaks, don't they have the stone guard built in or is this a separate insole?

JasonSH · · unknown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 90

Tried a pair of the Altra Superiors,.. they actually fit my slightly wide forefoot and didn't want to slide off my narrow heel!  BUT,... two major issues were that dumb paddle off the back of the soles did nothing but flick mud all over the back of my legs and after only three runs one lug started tearing off one of the soles of the shoes!  Back to REI they went!  

Tried the REI exclusive Sportiva trail shoe (can't recall the name.."Askyra" maybe??),.. felt good,..until about my 4-5th miles, then toe pain in both shoes.  Not the greatest at all if it only takes 4-5 miles for pain to set in!  They're goin back!  Totally bummed.  Trying to find a pair that serves my needs is very needle in haystack at this point.

Alexander K · · The road · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 130

Maybe try the Brooks Cascadias. They are wide, with a medium amount of stiffness.

RangerJ · · Denver, CO · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 65
Chad Miller wrote:

So I have the Lone Peaks, don't they have the stone guard built in or is this a separate insole?

Mine came with a separate gray plastic footbed insert. 

Troy Shellhamer · · Louisville, KY · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 21

Salomon XA Pro are very stiff. This is my go-to hiking shoe, but I do not trailrun in them due to the weight, but for hiking they are great. 

Troy Shellhamer · · Louisville, KY · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 21

Also, the Montrail, (Columbia), Mountain Masochist. A wide forefoot, but not as stiff of a midsole as the Salomon, but still decent. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Stiff and wide…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started