Mountain Project Logo

Triplex Information

Original Post
M Hanna · · Seattle, WA · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 5

Hi all-

I'm looking for written installation instructions and test data for the Fixe Triplex. Yes, I have tried the manufacturer and the US distributor, and yes, I have watched the video. I made a request through TechRock and hopefully they will respond. I figure if it's out there, someone in the etherwebfantastic might be able to point me in the right direction in direct fashion-

Thanks in advance and Cheers!

M. Hanna

Check Check Test Test Is This Thing On?  :)

Bill Czajkowski · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 20

Yes. I don't have it.

Thanks Bill! I know it's a long shot but thought perhaps......

20 kN · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,346

I am not sure it exists. Climbing bolts are the type of thing that require a lot more than a piece of paper to install correctly as you seem to know, and I've never seen a strength rating on the Triplex. However, it's apparently UIAA certified which means it has to hold at least 25kN in shear and 20 kN in tension. Anyway, the key points on the Triplex are use a 12mm SDS bit, NOT a 1/2" bit, and if you plan to use the bolts permanently, cut the flange off as the bolt can pull very easily if the nut loosens and the flange is in front of the hanger. Torque to 25 ft/ lbs according to Fixe USA's website.

Dan Greenwald · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 165
Jim Titt · · Germany · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 490
20 kN wrote:

I am not sure it exists. Climbing bolts are the type of thing that require a lot more than a piece of paper to install correctly as you seem to know, and I've never seen a strength rating on the Triplex. However, it's apparently UIAA certified which means it has to hold at least 25kN in shear and 20 kN in tension. Anyway, the key points on the Triplex are use a 12mm SDS bit, NOT a 1/2" bit, and if you plan to use the bolts permanently, cut the flange off as the bolt can pull very easily if the nut loosens and the flange is in front of the hanger. Torque to 25 ft/ lbs according to Fixe USA's website.

Ah well! The current Fixe Triplex is now rated 15kN axial and 22kN radial, has no claimed certification (the radial value is too low for EN959) and is no longer listed as having a UIAA Safety Label. They don´t appear to be on Fixe´s website but are in the 2016/2017 catalogue. 

20 kN · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,346
Jim Titt wrote:

Ah well! The current Fixe Triplex is now rated 15kN axial and 22kN radial, has no claimed certification (the radial value is too low for EN959) and is no longer listed as having a UIAA Safety Label. They don´t appear to be on Fixe´s website but are in the 2016/2017 catalogue. 

Fixe USA very clearly lists it as being UIAA and CE certified on their website below. I dident bother confirming it up on the UIAA website because I think the bolt is a poor choice for permanent use regardless.

http://www.fixehardware.com/shop/bolts/fixe-ss-12-x-75mm-triplex-3-piece-bolt/

T424

• CE/UIAA Certified             
  • 12x75mm                
  • Weight: 80g           
  • 304 Stainless Steel         
  • 12mm Bolts TORQUE TO: 25 Foot Pounds / 35Nm     
Jim Titt · · Germany · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 490
20 kN wrote:

Fixe USA very clearly lists it as being UIAA and CE certified on their website below. I dident bother confirming it up on the UIAA website because I think the bolt is a poor choice for permanent use regardless.

http://www.fixehardware.com/shop/bolts/fixe-ss-12-x-75mm-triplex-3-piece-bolt/

Old stock, the new ones are 60mm or 80mm long, possibly from PLX steel (it´s not clear) and the specs are 15kN/22kN.

The UIAA safety label for the USA products is no longer valid, neither the old or the new version are listed on the UIAA website. The CE certification claim is bogus, bolts cannot be marked CE, the relevant standard and certification is that should be marked on the product or any advertising material is EN959. Since CE/EN has no validity in the USA it´s irrelevant anyway.

Thanks for the info all!

mh

Tom Caldwell · · Clemson, S.C. · Joined Jun 2009 · Points: 3,623
20 kN wrote:

I am sold on these bolts. They seem better than the 5-piece bolts. The 5-piece is a challenging lead bolt since the cone won't go into the hole, you need two hands to hammer the bolt in. The cone on the 5-piece has the ability to get messed up since it is threaded to the stud. The triplex cone and stud is all one piece. Way less moving parts.

When you order these bolts, Fixe sends a booklet for installation. It is pretty simple if you have ever installed a bolt before.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Fixed Hardware: Bolts & Anchors
Post a Reply to "Triplex Information"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started