Mountain Project Logo

Southern Vermont/western Massachusetts

Original Post
Jon McIntyre · · Guilford Vermont · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 0

Hi. Looking to tap into local climbing scene. Have returned after 20 years away. Strangely rose ledge was my first time out. Seem to be in a bit of a donut hole here in Brattleboro area. There must be some spots I'm unaware of considering Farley ledge just got pulled from MP. Please and thank you!

Alan Rubin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 10

Welcome back to the area Jon. I'm a western Mass local (Amherst based). The geology hasn't changed much in the past 20 years but the climbing scene likely has. While I know that there are active climbers from the Brattleboro area I'm not aware of any 'scene' or even an organized group from that region. There is a small, active group over in Keene, NH and it is possible that folks from your area join with them, but most just come down around here on their own. There is a very active scene in this area based primarily around Farley and the Central Rock Gym in Hadley--as well as the various college groups. The Western Mass Climbers Coalition is the umbrella organization for this region, primarily involved in access and crag maintenance issues, but we also run some more social events as well such as our Rendezvous in fall, Silent Auction in spring, and occasional presentations by local and visiting climbers---check out our website (www.climbgneiss.org). Coming to the CRG is likely the best way to get to know the locals. You surely can meet folks at Farley or the other crags but many will be from Boston or other locations instead of being locally based. If you are interested, you can PM me and I can show you around Farley, Mormon or Rose (there is likely more there than you remember) and introduce you to some folks.

Alan

Dash rip rock · · Keene NH · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 10

Hello Jon,

I live in Keene NH and travel to western mass a bunch. There are 17 climbing resources in the Monadnock region, and a small group of regulars. I always enjoy showing people the areas I know. Give a call if you are interested 603- two zero 9-seven six one eight.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "Southern Vermont/western Massachusetts"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started