Mountain Project Logo

Brand New to Mountaineering Where Do I Start???

Original Post
Andrew LaRue · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0

I hiked my first mountain 6.15.2017 in Arizona (Camelback was the name). Since then, I've fallen completely head over heals for the world of mountaineering. I discovered Ed Viesturs and was inspired beyond words. I want to follow in his footsteps: become a guide, and maybe someday summit all 8000 meter peaks without oxygen. However that's not my only goal, I want to become a well rounded mountaineer, and learn literally as much as possible. I currently live in Ohio, not exactly the state for mountaineers. Do you have any advice on pursuing this goal? I just bookmarked all of the AMGA accredited climbing schools/guide programs. I thought maybe taking a course from each one, and seeing which works the best? Do you have better advice? I've come to the understanding that mountaineering can be very expensive, and I just want to receive the best training possible so that when I build a resume to become a guide, I will be a prime candidate. Note: I won't be able too take any courses until at-least next year (2018) Do you have any advice to what I can do here in Ohio to prepare? Thank you! 

P.S. I apologize if my posts seems a little too hyper. I don't want to try and pursue the 8000ers for attention or anything like that, it's really more for personal challenging and I see mountaineering as a way to live my poetic (or spiritual if you will) version of life in a realistic way. (if that makes sense). Thanks everyone! I appreciate any form advice you can give! :)

Mark NH · · 03053 · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 0

Andrew, didn't you post up a while back with some lofty goals? If you're really as gong ho as you seem - move outta the flatlands to the mountains and set realistic expectations for what's achievable. Going from hiking Camelback in AZ to climbing 8000m peaks without oxygen is quite a stretch. Good luck!

Andrew LaRue · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0

Mark, no I didn't make any posts before this one. I've emailed various people, you might have been one of them! I'm just trying to gather as much information and advice as possible!

goingUp · · over here · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 30

buy the book Mountaineering: Freedom of the Hills.

and go up everything you can.  if its short, do it several times, or carry way too much weight on purpose.

Gear wise, start with good shoes/boots.  buy gear as needed for the next trip.

dont just run out and take a hundred classes.  That sounds expensive (and to be honest, boring as hell).  Take one or  two, go practice what you learned with who you learned it with.  You will make friends, share stories, learn from each other, and most importantly, learn from doing.  

Most Mountaineering is experience  based.  

Allen Sanderson · · On the road to perdition · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,203

Take my advice, pull down your pants a side on the ice.

- Sidney Freedman

Mike Palasek · · Columbus, OH · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 0

Andrew, I live in Columbus, lived in Ohio most of my life. Sounds like what you need is mileage. Climb as much as you can. Ohio is a great place to be a mountaineer. We have the NRG, RRG, and Seneca Rocks all within 5 hours from Cbus. You can get ice climbing locally and the Daks and Whites are drivable for week trips. OK, if you want 8000 meter peaks, we're a little shy of that. As far as guiding goes, someone I trained locally just got his SPI. There's a lot you can do right here!

Idaho Bob · · McCall, ID · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 757

Take a look at the programs and courses offered by Yamnuska Mountain School in Canmore, Alberta, Canada.  With the strong US$ right now, they are good value.  They offer a complete variety of courses including rock, ice, glacier travel, mountaineering, etc.  And they will take you to big mountains on their courses.

Mike Palasek · · Columbus, OH · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 0

Advice on what to do right here- go to Vertical Adventures climbing gym in Columbus. There you will meet rock climbers, ice climbers, mountaineers.. You can learn basic climbing skills, learn to belay etc. More experienced climbers can take you under wing. Also hit Ohio spots like Whipps Ledges or Mad River Gorge. Get connected. Ed Viesters started life in Fort Wayne, Indiana. When you can travel, a mountaineering course like Yamnuska would be invaluable. FWIW, Senca Rocks is the highest technical summit east of Devils Tower and they have 2 excellent guide services/schools there. I learned all the technical skills there that I used on my ascents in the Rockies, etc.

Robin S · · Durango, CO · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 41

Read all relevant sections of FOTH, as someone previously suggested. Go somewhere with mountains in the 7-11,000 ft range and start by renting gear and climbing with a mentor to make sure you're really into it. Once you're sure you're in love, you can start buying gear (start with boots). 

Erik · · Goose Creek, SC · Joined May 2016 · Points: 115

Where are you in Ohio? I've been looking at getting into mountaineering as well and so if you want a partner for starting out I'd be willing.

Aleksa Camur · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 0

sounds like the same situation I'm in, I also live in Ohio, and want the same

Peter Lenz · · Salt Lake City · Joined May 2008 · Points: 670

1) Aerobic fitness and mental toughness count as much or more than technical expertise in mountaineering. Therefore, run in the cold and the rain as much as possible. Hike with a heavy backpack. Learn to backcountry ski.
2) It will be hard to become a good mountaineer in Ohio. You need to move to a locale with quick access to mountains.  Think BC, Alberta, Colorado, Utah, Washington, California, Wyoming, Montana. Alaska is not so good because access to climbs, especially rock, is problematic. But you should visit and climb there.
3) Read Steve House’s book: Training for the New Alpinism.
4) Join a rock gym, but you must climb real rock as often as possible. You need to climb on many different types of rock, and you need to climb traditional routes, not just bolted sport routes, although the latter are excellent for developing technical skill on rock.
5) Learn to rock climb with boots, not just rock shoes. Learn to rock climb with crampons. Climb lots of snow an ice. Learn to climb mixed terrain with crampons, and ice tools.  Learn to climb while carrying a pack. Learn to climb quickly and efficiently.
6) Make a trip to Yosemite Valley ASAP, and climb long rock routes.Climb Mt Rainier. Climb Denali.
7) Get a job which allows for all this.
8) Start now.

Stagg54 Taggart · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 10

look up the Explorer's Club of Pittsburgh.  They run a mountaineering school and they get out a lot for living in Flatland...

John Dubrawski · · Littleton · Joined Mar 2003 · Points: 40

Hey Andrew. Some sound advice has been mentioned here on how to start mountaineering. And I respect your stoke!

I would like to add the following ClimbingTechTips video series to your alpine knowledge quiver. This is the CTT Alpine & Mountaineering series:

https://climbingtechtips.com/instructional-climbing-videos-2/alpine-mountaineering/

From there, depending on your rock or ice experience / interest, you might watch these respective CTT videos:

https://climbingtechtips.com/instructional-climbing-videos-2/basic-intermediate-outdoor-climbing/

https://climbingtechtips.com/instructional-climbing-videos-2/sport-climbing/

https://climbingtechtips.com/instructional-climbing-videos-2/traditional-climbing/

https://climbingtechtips.com/instructional-climbing-videos-2/multi-pitch-trad-climbing/

https://climbingtechtips.com/instructional-climbing-videos-2/ice-climbing/

Let me know what you think. Be safe, and good luck!

John Apple · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2018 · Points: 0

Andrew, I grew up in Lancaster Ohio and didn’t even see the mountains until I was 23 in Colorado. I really couldn’t believe there was something like that out there, or why the hell I was still in Ohio. I’m not kidding here, I came home, sold almost everything I had and fit what I could into my 96’ Subaru to start driving west. I moved to Seattle WA without a job or a home and that was 4 years ago now. I walked around Vertical World climbing gym in Seattle asking if people would climb with me until some people would. I have made a million friends here and wouldn’t leave this place for anything now. I’ve lost 70lbs and summited so many alpine routes now it’s crazy.
Everyone tried to give me their “idea” of what I should do, saying things like “start small, don’t go crazy”. I just knew I wanted more than that. If you’re serious, get in your car and just drive. I was overweight, didn’t know how to rock climb and had no idea what the Cascade range even was until I arrived in Washington.  I let passion and excitement drive me and to new places. I’ve climbed all over America and Alaska now and look back at how much time I would have wasted if I had waited “to build my skills in Ohio”. I thought the fire would die at some point but after these years it’s more than ever.
Definitely do your reading, I started with “Freedom of the Hills” and read the thing 5 times. Then started training under Steve Houses program in “Training for the new Alpinism”. Then found mentors out here that would teach me. You’ll find if you stoked and eager to learn than older alpinist will teach you anything you want.
I have my entire life to keep growing and learning here but I wanted to make sure you knew people exist that take one look at those mountains and know immediately it’s worth everything. It’s not about the summits, it’s about living a life that’s more than punching a time clock and waiting to die.
If you’re ever out this way hit me up and I’ll totally kick it with you.
Best of luck man

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

The OP's last visit to MP was July 2, 2017. He started this thread, then disappeared!

Hamish Hamish · · Fredericksburg, VA · Joined May 2017 · Points: 15
FrankPS wrote: The OP's last visit to MP was July 2, 2017. He started this thread, then disappeared!

Hopefully out suffering in a snow cave somewhere...

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Beginning Climbers
Post a Reply to "Brand New to Mountaineering Where Do I Start???"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started